One

Politics never interested her like it did to others. She was born, raised and lived in a family where what you say or do is with the interest of the public. She never told her Parents that it doesn't interest her. What choice did she have? 

Medicine is something she is not forced to be into but an unspoken dream her family has for her. That's the problem if you're a Valdez. It's either you enter into politics and business or you have a career that will broaden your name, no less, medicine, law and the likes.

A loud knock on her door woke her up.

*knock knock knock*

"Alyssa gumising ka na!" A familiar voice echoed in her room from the other side of the door. She groaned.

"Tumahimik ka! Minsan na nga lang ako makakatulog manggugulo ka pa." she said while adjusting her position in her bed. Her body against the door.

"C'mon Alyssa! Nung ako nga nagaaral gumigising pa rin ako nang maaga kahit na weekend para lang di masira sleeping patterns ko."

She did not answer.

"Kung ayaw mo buksan ang pinto mapipilitan akong tawagan si Tita. Gusto mo ba yun?"

Alyssa's eyes immediately grew wide open. If there is someone that terrifies her it is in no doubt her Mother but, nevertheless, she loves her dearly. So, she took her most comfortable comforter off of her body, wore her loose shirt and stormed her way to her door.

"Good morning Alyssa!"

Her cousin Luis Alfonso Valdez Revilla greeted her with the widest smile on his face.

"Gums mo!" Alyssa shouted while closing her unit's door on her cousin's face.

"Hahaha! C'mon Ly. I know you love me." LA said while entering Alyssa's studio type place, following her.

Alyssa hissed at him.

"What do you need now?"

"Ang aga aga. Bugnutin mo naman."

"Ginising mo kaya ako."

"Okay sige. My fault."

"O ano na nga kailangan mo?"

"First of all, can you please put on your shorts or something. Nakaunderwear ka lang oh. Dalaga ka na Alyssa and a future Doctor for that matter, you should be, you know... respectable." LA said while covering his eyes with his hands.

Alyssa rolled her eyes and wore her boxer shorts that was on her bed, "and you are a successful internist and yet you still find my lack of shorts unusual? Magkababata tayo LA, cousins. Tapos naaawkward ka? C'mon. Marami ka nang nakitang nakaganito buong buhay mo. Baka nga natikman mo pa."

"Alyssa! Ang awkward nung topic! I know okay? Pero Ly, alam mo naman matatanda na tayo."

"Psssh ang OA."

"Maayos ka na ba?" LA asked while peeping to Alyssa who's now in her loose shirt that covered her boxer shorts. "Ano ba naman yan, Ly! Parang wala ka pa ring shorts niyan eh."

"Take it or leave it?"

LA sat on Alyssa's coffee table "Ano pa bang magagawa ko?"

"So, why are you here?" Alyssa said while crossing her arms.

"Wait. Before that. How's your Junior Clerkship going? Any boys I should warn Nico about?"

"Pffft" Alyssa scoffed.

"or girls?"

Alyssa's eyes widened and threw her pillow at LA, "Gago ka talaga! Straight nga ako. Malisyoso."