They're Not People

That scream sounded so loud, it belonged to Aurei. She was in danger.

After hearing that heart wrenching scream, I yank my foot from the fresh new hole I made, the wood scratching and cutting against my flesh, I bite my lip to avoid crying out in pain. I turn around and start to run upstairs and made my way into the hall.

I dart towards Mom's room as fast as I can to see...Aurei on the floor and Mom on top of her, her knees pinned Aurei's arms against the ground as mom sat on her stomach, Aurei had grabbed mom's skinny arms to refrain mom from doing any damage.

"Mom! Please! I'm your daughter!" Aurei yells frantically. Everything from that point seemed to go into slow motion at that point.

Mom's mouth was coated in drool, her skin was so dull, her blood stained, her eyes milky white and wide open, her jaw hung loosely as if she couldn't control it. At this moment I knew...

That wasn't my mother anymore.

Without thinking, in one quick motion I raise my father's gun towards Mom.

My fingers on the trigger. I grit my teeth as tears burned in the corners of my eyes.

Dad's words corrupt my mind as I my hands tremble.

Keep your finger on the trigger if you want to shoot, take a deep breath, now shoot.

I pull the trigger, making a loud, ear peircing noise. I stagger back a little as mom's body collapses over Aurei . The bullet goes into my Mother's eye socket, Aurei scurries up as Mom falls to the side, the blood going down her cheeks and dripping on her nightgown.

Aurei's eyes widen, she starts hyperventailating, clutching her frizzy, nappy hair as she looked at mom's blood that was spilled all over her face.

I'm gonna regret this.

I slap Aurei hard, she touches her cheek, her eyes wide. My hand retracts away as it stung. Aurei stops panicking and just goes silent.

"I'm sorry..." Aurei whispers, clamping her mouth as tears went down her cheeks. I grab her, hugging her tightly.

"You're going to listen to me, grab your things and go upstairs until I tell you to come down, it's getting dark so we can't leave today." I explain, wiping the tears from Aurei's cheek as she cried silently.

Aurei nods quietly, then walks out the door.

"And Aurei?" I ask.

"Yeah?" Aurei asks, turning to face me.

"Love you." I said, she nods silently and she walks off as I look down at mom, my gut was telling me to not go outside.

I reach my arm under mom's knees and snaked my arm around her back, hoisting her up, I try my best not to look at her head which had revealed the damage I have done to her.

"I'm sorry..." I whisper to Mom before leaving. The fact that I couldn't bury her killed me. It would be impossible to walk outside now with these people roaming around.

Were they even people? They could be sick....

But mom was sick....and mom died....and I could've sworn I checked her pulse and her breathing.

But how...did she attack Aurei? Why did she act like those people outside?

Then it hits me....that couldn't have been mom....mom would never attack her own child, that was against her morals. She had her eyes wide open as she tried to dig her fingers into Aurei's body, but all the life inside of those eyes were gone.