Chapter 31

The Capitol Building, Boise, Idaho

It was an unusually cold winter's day, even for Boise. A front had swept in the night before from the Canadian Rockies, and at sun-up, the thermometer hovered barely above zero. The local television weathermen were making their usual complaints about the cold air that always blows down from Canada, while on the other side of the border, their counterparts were snickering about the hot air that always blows up from the States. 

However, the temperature was not on the mind of Governor Morrissey as he sat on one side of a long table in a large conference room filled with politicians, their staff administrative assistants, as well as members of the media. The room, located on the second floor of the State Capitol Building, was noisy as everyone talked at the same time, and the politicians in the room were doing what politicians do. To Morrissey's left sat Governor Ted Sanderson of Montana, and to his right were Bodey Butler of Arizona and Toby Diamond of Wyoming. Across the table sat Governors Wynn Taylor, Sam McCabe and Luis Lopez of Utah, Colorado, and New Mexico, respectively. 

The official reason for the conference was to discuss the recent edicts, issued by the White House, declaring huge portions of their respective states as wilderness preserves. It was no secret that the majority of the governors' constituents had been infuriated by the President's unilateral actions, which closed off millions of acres to any further exploration, commercial development, or even recreational use. To the press and public, it was not at all unusual that these men would meet to discuss these matters. However, there was another agenda to the meeting, a hidden one known only to those seven men and a highly select group of people who could be trusted implicitly. For they had gathered not only to talk about wild rivers, rugged canyons, and old-growth forests; they had also gathered to talk about guns. 

Governor Morrissey's chief of staff tapped on the microphone at the podium at one end of the room. "Ladies and gentlemen, may I please have your attention." 

Only a few in the room paid him any attention at first, but he persisted. "The governors have asked for a closed door session this morning, and I would appreciate it if you would all join me down the hall where breakfast is being served." The mention of food got the media's attention as it always did. They knew that Governor Morrissey usually put on quite a spread, and it took only a few minutes for the room to empty of everyone except Morrissey's chief of staff and the governors. As the last of the press left, the chief of staff walked over and whispered something to the governor. They both nodded, and then the chief of staff left the room, pulling the heavy double doors closed behind him. 

A few of the governors were still talking quietly to each other when Morrissey began to speak. "Gentlemen, I think you all know why I asked you here." 

Rubbing his arms briskly, Governor Lopez said, "I sure do, Edward, you wanted to freeze our balls off." 

The others laughed. 

Lopez continued, "When does spring start in your state, anyway? July?" 

Sanderson interjected, "Winter lasts forever up this high, Governor." 

A few of the other men chuckled. 

Morrissey smiled, but his expression soon turned serious. "Sorry, Governor, but we've set all the thermostats at sixty-five as an energy savings measure. Now, if we can get back to business, you know what we are here to talk about." 

"Excuse me, Edward," interjected Governor McCabe. "Can we speak freely?" he asked. "I mean without anybody with long ears listening, if you catch my drift." 

"Yes, Sam, I had the room swept this morning." 

"But couldn't one of the reporters have slipped something under the table?" asked McCabe.