Again I will fall

A/N: Hello! Thanks for making it thus far in my Fanfiction! We'll start getting somewhere in this chapter, sit tight! Also, if you are easily upset by a *coughs* certain gay slur, please refrain from reading! Thank you, and please enjoy!!
It had been a few weeks of Evan and I texting and going on our little midnight outings. He had been more than kind to me, and everything he did just seemed absolutely perfect. There was no denying it; Evan Hansen was absolutely my soulmate.  I mean, it is a little awkward trying to be just friends with someone you know will end up being the love of your life. That little red string almost guarantees that your feelings will one day be reciprocated. But that doesn't mean everyone just starts going out with their soulmate as soon as they find them. Like Evan and I, for example. We're both completely happy that we've found soulmates when we had reason to believe we didn't have one. But, there are some things that seem to discourage any further relationship between us. For one, Evan wants to go to North Carolina State University to major in
biology then later go onto become a conservation scientist. That did mean within a matter of months, Evan would move halfway across the country and keeping in touch would be terrible. That being said, I never had much of a life plan, so wherever he goes I could easily go as well. Another thing; my dad might just be the most homophobic person you have ever met. You should see him during June, Pride month. He huffs whenever anything about the LGBT+ community comes on, cursing out the "damn faggots", in his own words. Usually Zoe and I exchange this look of "if you don't tell him I'm gay I won't tell him you're gay". We rarely get along, like I said earlier, but there are somethings even we will do to stay in the closet. But, besides that, everything's been going great. Evan has this adorable smile, and dimples! He has the cutest dimples. And his hair is super soft, almost angelic. He also uses this cologne that smells like pine trees, and in my opinion, it might just be the best smell in the entire world.
      Anyways, today was a Thursday, and so far nothing out of the ordinary had happened. I saw Evan in the hallway, and gave a little wave in his direction. He noticed, and gave me a dorky grin in return. He rushed toward me, maintaining the ever so bright smile.
"Connor!" He yelled, "It's so good to see you!"
"Could say the same about you, Hansen." I looked down at him as he fiddled with the string on my hoodie. I wasn't going to say anything, because I knew he would stop if I did. He leaned into me a bit, telling me how he 'absolutely detested' the substitute for today's American history class, saying that he would only read magazines in the back of the class while he gave out busywork. Though many couldn't see it, he was passionate about a lot of things. He had just been waiting for the right person to come along to understand him.
He had just been waiting for a soulmate to wave back.
I decided that I would have to tell him how I felt eventually, after all we were 'destined' for each other. I looked at him, still going on about the substitute, with nothing but love. I had absolutely fallen for this boy. My train of thought was interrupted when he asked me for my opinion on the whole thing.
"-It was just terrible! Don't you think it was terrible, Con?"
I flushed. How could I not? He just gave me a nickname. He liked me enough to give me a nickname. Con. Has a nice ring to it. Almost cooing, I replied;
"Yeah, he should totally be fired Ev." I tried to emphasize the nickname I had given him in return. I saw him dart his eyes down, but not before I caught a glimpse of scarlet in his cheeks.
"Ugh, can you two stop pretending to be 'just friends' and start dating already?" It was Jared Klienman, a kid who Evan told me eats bathbombs and the only reason he's ever given for doing so is because he 'loves the cronch.' Weird.
"Fuck off, Klienman. Don't you have something else to do?" I stood a little defensive as I felt Evan began to cower a bit.
"Nope. Evan is my top priority. Or, you could say, my car insurance is." He began to smirk a little. I felt Evan began to quiver. I felt a few warm droplets on my hoodie. He was crying.
Jared made Evan cry.
"Though you consider other peoples' lives more important since you can't seem get your own, Evan and I have more important things to do than talk to an asshat such as yourself. Let's go, Evan."
As Jared tried to laugh off the insult, Evan grabbed my hand and bolted sdown the hallway. He took me to his car before starting the engine. He didn't talk, he just drove. He looked so distant, so cold. As if I talked to him, he might fall apart. I felt the car suddenly stop as I looked out the window. We were at the orchard. He stomped out of the car a bit and sat down. I sat down next to him, breaking the silence for the first time in a handful of minutes.
"Do you wanna talk about it?"
I saw the cold facade shatter as soon as I spoke. He started to explain to me what was up.
"Before you, Jared was my only friend. Except, he always told me that the only reason he talked to me was for car insurance. And that's the only reason he keeps talking to me. And I told him everything, because that's what best friends do, right? And he was my best friend. And recently, I told him my feelings for-" he covered his mouth. I saw him start to mess with the string and he avoided eye contact with me.
Was he talking about me?
"For my feelings for someone," he continued. "And he kept m-making fun of m-me f-f-for it." Oh god. His stutter was back. This can't be good.
"What kind of things was he saying?" I asked him, being as gentle as I could be. I wrapped my arm around him, and I felt him press his face into my shoulder.
"He kept calling me-" he choked back a sob, "he kept calling me a faggot. I'm kinda bisexual, and I'm crushing really bad? It's just," he looked up at me. "Everything about him is so perfect."
"Could you tell me who he is?" I asked him, resting my chin on top of his head.
"Yeah, I guess. He could light up a room with his smile, and his hair is so so soft. I could braid it all day." Now, I don't know a lot of things, but I know that there is only one guy who has hair long enough to braid, and I know that it's me. I got up a little so he could see me, and looked him in the eyes before pointing to himself. He darted his eyes down and nodded a little.
"Hey it's no big deal. I have a crush on someone, too." Evan deflated a little, looking absolutely depressed.
"W-what are they l-like?" He was able to stammer out.
"Well, he's a little shorter than me, for starters. And has this adorable hair that's dirty blonde. And he absolutely loves trees. Sometimes, if I'm lucky, I can get him talking about it for hours in end at this orchard we frequent quite a lot."
Evan stood there in shock as I smiled a little bit. "If you didn't get the hint, it's you, dork." I said, playfully nudging him. Before I knew what was going on, I felt his lips on mine. I leaned into it a bit, before pulling away to see Evan, who was grinning wide.
"I'm so glad you liked me back."

And then I woke up, in room, as my sister incessantly banged on my door.
A/N: Oh snap! I left you at a cliffhanger, hehe. Don't worry, you'll figure out what's happening in the next chapter. I'm not flaking out on you with a "SIKE! IT WAS A DREAM! YOU WERE ALL PRANKED!" No no, I have a thought out plan as to why this was a dream. Or was it?
with lots of love,
averytinyhat