Chapter One

AVAVA

(Mabel's PoV)

VAVAV

Repeated gunshots rang inher ears, as she cowered behind her brother.

Normally, she' would feelsafe behind her brother, if he wasn't the one firing the weapon.

Actually, it wasn't Dipperfiring the gun that was what she was afraid of...

No, it was what he wasfiring at. Former friends, even former family. Something had happenedover night while they slept in their beds in the attic of the MysteryShack. Something that you would have only ever expected to see in themovies, or read in books. An infection broke out, and people hadbecome... Undead... zombies... reanimated corpses... infected...

It didn't matter what youcalled them. They came to the call of anything. That was the problem,no matter the sound, they came... and came hungry.

She always disliked thattheir Great Uncle, former Great Uncle, Stan had kept guns and ammo inthe house.

Not even under lock andkey.

However, given thesituation she and Dipper were currently in, she was relieved that hehadn't listened to her and locked them away. In fact, if he had, shewas sure that she and Dipper would have ended up just like everyoneelse they've met so far. Former friends... or friendly faces theyknew... were no longer friendly.... no longer friends. Some of thesepeople she'd known for years, visiting Gravity Falls for the summers.Her and Dipper were now sixteen, meaning some of these people, theyhad known for four years.

One of the guns was putinto her hands, as more shots fired... Mabel couldn't do these peopleharm. She could not use a gun on people she had once knew, had oncehad talked to in kindness. Dipper understood that about her. She wasthankful for that. However, he did expect her to help reload theweapons for him.

'I can do that,' shethought as she pulled an empty magazine out of the hand gun and putanother into it, then pressing the reloaded weapon into Dipper's freehand.

She then put bullet afterbullet into the empty magazine for the next reload. It had taken hera couple times to get the motions down... the first couple of timesit had almost ended badly for them, but they barely made it. All ofthis just leaving The Mystery Shack... they were only on Main St.When the firing finally stopped. Mabel reloaded the guns once more,the firing didn't start again when she handed the weapon back to herbrother.

"Lets go Mabel... trynot to look back." Dipper said in a monotonic voice. It couldn't beeasy for Dipper, she'd left him the only line of defense, because shecouldn't use one of those things... neither could he before thismorning... it's amazing how well you learn when it's 'learn or die'.It was similar to 'sink or swim', Like that, they could risk dying,except unlike 'sink or swim', there was no life guard, no one to savethem if they couldn't 'tread water'.

"O-Okay." She didn'tlook back, she couldn't look back. She didn't want to know if any ofher friends were behind her, as they continued walking, she thoughtabout how the morning started.