Prologue

Octavia's POV

   "Octavia! It's time to go to school! Enough of this foolishness!"  My mother shouts as I hear her foot steps shuffle around in the hall. I make my breaths shallow so they're​ quiter and push myself farther into my closet, pulling my knees to my chest. I soon hear her enter my room and start moving things trying to find me. "If you don't come out right now, I'll double your chores young lady." I sigh and rest my head on my knees as I hear my closet door jiggle open and I know she's found me. "Octavia, come out here." She says as she grabs my arm lightly and tuggs me out without much struggle. My mother gets on her knees and stands me up to face her. My head comes up just above her eye level. I'm tiny compared to most 8 year olds in my faction. I avoid eye contact with her as my eyes start welling up. I hear my mother sigh and pull me into a tight hug. "My dear baby, I wish you would tell me why you don't want to go to school, I know it's hard for you to fit in, it always has been. You were the first and only little Erudite girl to go and slide down the stairs railing in our apartment building and boy did Jeneane have a word with me about that." I felt my mother kiss the side of my head and I giggled a little bit. "I know it's been especially hard for you since daddy passed away but you have to be brave and smart and make him proud. And he would want you to go to school to get a good education." My mom said softly as she rubbed circles lightly on my back. I nodded slowly and pulled away from our long hug. She wiped my tears off my cheeks and stood up. "Hurry up and get ready or you'll miss the bus," she ruffled my hair and left the room.
     "I kinda hope I miss the bus." I mumbled to myself, and walked over to my dresser and pulled open the drawers, everything's blue.. I guess it's better than Abnegation grey, but I still don't want to wear it. Only eight years and I feel like a black sheep, I only have eight more years to go, I reassured myself. I picked out my dress and leggings, I layed them on top of my dresser so I could remove my pajamas. I pulled my dress over my head sloppily, I didn't bother straightening it out. I sat on the floor to put my leggings half way up, I pulled them up the rest of the way as I stood up. I stood in the mirror looking myself up and down my brown hair that came to the center of my back, My ocean blue eyes, my Erudite blue dress and my white leggings. I sighed at what I saw, I look in the mirror and don't feel myself. Those stupid Candor boys know that, they know I don't fit in so they make sure everyone makes me feel like I will never fit in. I walk over to my bedside table and grab my brush. I don't want to do anything special with my hair, I just want to get through the school day unnoticed. I brush through my hair and head to the front door. I sit down and put on my black buckle shoes. I grabbed my backpack and through it over my shoulders as I stood up.
      "Mom, I'm going to school!" I shouted into the house with no response. I just shrugged it off, she might have left for work already. I opened the door and headed out into the hallway, as soon as I got out into the hallway I mentally face palmed myself. I forgot to check what time it is, if I missed the bus I'll be almost an hour late to class and mom will be really mad. I started rushing through the hall and down the stairs, I burst out the doors of our apartment building and glance down the sidewalk a few blocks down to the bus stop. The bus was just arriving, I gripped the straps of my backpack and started racing towards it. "Wait!" I shouted desperately trying to catch the bus. "Wait for me!" I was running as fast as my feet would carry me. As I approached the bus stop the bus had already driven away. I sighed in defeat, and kicked a pebble near my feet. "I guess I'm going to be late." I mumbled to myself as I started walking down the road the bus had driven down.
      My head pops up when I hear an all too familiar whistle. The train, I know it's a crazy idea and I'm no dauntless, but if I can jump on that train I won't be late. A faint grin grew on my face as my brain accepted the challenge. The tracks where just over the hill, I started running up the hill as fast as my short legs could possibly carry me. As soon as I got to the top I was able to see the train a little ways off but I still knew I'd only have one chance at catching it. I started jogging down the hill, once I reached the bottom of the hill I had a moment to stop and catch my breath as I readied myself to start running for the train. As the train got closer, the noise of it's wheels grew almost intimidatingly loud. If I live through this I'm officially the worst Erudite ever. I thought to myself as I deeply inhaled and then exhaled. Here I go. I thought as I started running alongside the train as soon as I saw the first open car speed past me. I was picking up speed like I never thought I could. Once the handle was in arm reach I jumped towards it, my hand gripped the rough handle and my foot hit a step. I reached to pull myself up when my foot quickly slipped off the step.
         I let out a surprised yelp as my eyes grew wide thinking I was going to fall, when a dark skinned hand gripped my free hand and pulled me in. I stood up straight and brushed my dress off as I glanced up at my rescuer. He was a tall dark skinned boy wearing the signature black and red dauntless attire he looked about twice my age I'm assuming his choosing day will be soon. "Wow I didn't ever expect to save a Erudite who jumps trains." He chuckled lightly. "Well I didn't expect anyone to save me." I shrugged, glancing around the car to see many surprised dauntless faces. I glanced down at my feet shyly. "Thanks for saving me." I mumbled quietly as I glanced back up at him. "No problem, you know you can get on the train at the train stop by the center of Erudite." I shrugged "I didn't have time. I'm running late for school." I replied honestly. The boy gave me a confused look "Late for School... Jumping on trains, What type of Erudite are you?" He chuckled jokingly. "I'm Octavia Weston, Officially the worst Erudite you'll meet." I jokingly introduced myself "Well hi there Octavia, I'm Max, hopefully one day a Dauntless leader." We shook hands while having a slight laugh. "So Octavia, do you know how to get off the train?" Max asked, "Uhm.." I shook my head no "hadn't really thought this through." I added in. Max nodded his head with a cheeky grin. "You'll have to jump nose."  He stated blankly "Just don't be scared, you seem like a natural, maybe one day we'll be seeing you in our transfer initiates." I nodded and glanced out the car's door.

*Time skip*

    I had settled down next to Max for the ride which wasn't as long as I thought it was going to be. I really thought about his words, mainly how he said I was a natural, and that maybe I would one day be a transfer initiate. Maybe I would fit in Dauntless better. Suddenly everyone in the car started getting up and glancing out the doors. "We're almost there, get ready to jump." Max said softly to me as he stood up and dropped his hand down to help me up. "Has anyone ever told you, you're really nice for a Dauntless." I said taking his hand and standing up. He just smiled "Silly smart girl, Being brave isn't being cruel, and it isn't having no fear, it's about knowing how to act in the face of your fears." He said and I nodded as I glanced forward to see the first jumpers "Are you ready?" Max asked, I took in a deep breath and nodded my head yes, I then watched him run and jump off the train. I quickly followed after, as my feet left the car I instantly regretted my decision. Then I hit the ground, and rolled through the dirt. Once I caught realization that I actually just jumped off a train I started dying laughing. "I made it!" I shouted as I lied on my back, soon a figure shadowed me and held his hand down for me to grab "You sure did nose." Max laughed with me. I grabbed his hand and he pulled me to my feet. I brushed my dress off and followed the crew of Dauntless into school.

*Time Skip*

    Class just let out for lunch and I've been getting weird looks all day. Maybe it's the dirt on my clothes or that some of them saw me walk in with the Dauntless kids, either way I know rumors are spreading. I walk out into the hallway, to my cubby just outside of out classroom, just like everyday I'm met with the annoying faces of two Candor boys blocking my cubby. One taller with curly black hair and green eyes, I think he's a year or two older than me, his name's Josh. The shorter one has short blonde hair with brown eyes, he's in my class, his name's Cody. I can already tell by the annoying smirk on Josh's face that they're wanting to cause trouble. I glared at them, as I shoved past them to get into my cubby. "So... Freak, I heard you ran in with the Dauntless kids today. Do you even remember what faction you're in anymore?" Josh said and Cody snickered behind him. I rolled my eyes trying to ignore them, I grabbed my lunch bag out of my cubby causing a lose paper to fall out onto the floor. Cody quickly picked it up "Oh what's this? A 'C'?" He said with a evil chuckle "You must be the stupidest Erudite there is." Josh added in, I turned my back to keep ignoring them when Josh grabbed the back of my dress and threw me on the floor. "Hey Nose! Can't you hear I'm talking to you?, Or are you too dumb to understand what I'm saying?" He said a little louder becoming agitated. I went to go stand up but before I could I saw a flash of blue move in front of me, and next thing I knew Josh had a bloody nose and Cody and him went running down the hallway.
      "Are you okay?" A boy asked as he helped me up. "I'm fine, it happens all the time." I shrugged and pulled myself up. "Did you just punch him in the nose?" I finally got a chance to really look at the boy who helped me, he had short brown spiked hair with blue eyes he was more muscular built than most Erudite boys and he seemed to be a little older than me but not by much. "Yeah." He smiled cheekily and picked up my lunch bag from the floor. "Would you like me to escort you to lunch?" He asked politely. "If that's your way of asking if you can have lunch with me, you don't have to ask. I don't own the table." I stated sarcastically, earning another smile from him, and we started walking down the hall towards the lunch room.
        "My name's Eric by the way, Eric Coulter." He said  bringing me to a lunch table. "Nice to meet you Eric, my name's Octavia Weston."