wil wheaton || sleep on the floor

A/N : i literally just listened to this song it was 5:30 am im super awake but this is for oldieswriter

It was a Wednesday morning, (Y/N) had gotten off work an hour earlier after a night shift at the local bowling alley. They got up from their bed and sighed, looking at the twenty dollar bill in hand. A night of no tips and a six hour shift had only earned one twenty dollar bill. They were so sick of this job, it had them working from 8 at night until 2 in the morning and it was the most exhausting job ever! Loud teenagers, obnoxious kids. In all honesty, it was hell on Earth.

(Y/N) looked down at the cash in hand and started to tear up as they put it in their small money bank. Saving up to leave home would be much harder than they thought, they'd just graduated high school and reality hit. Getting out of their small town would be impossible at this rate, minimum wage was killing them.

Headlights shone through their window blinds as a car parked on the curb in front of their house. Who would be out at three in the morning on a Wednesday? No time to ponder the question, the driver hopped out of the car and started jogging up to the bedroom window. Light tapping echoed through the quiet room, causing a small gasp from (Y/N). They walked over to the window and peeked through the blinds to see their boyfriend, Wil, looking back at them.

They opened the window and let him in. As soon as his feet hit the carpet floor, he kissed them and walked over to their closet, grabbing the duffle bag on the shelf. Wil threw it on the bed and started opening up dresser drawers, still not having said a single word since he arrived.

"Wil, what the hell are you doing?" They said, giving him a very puzzled look.

"Grab your toothbrush." Was all that he said as he went through their drawers, picking out the four t-shirts he saw (Y/N) where most often and throwing them in the duffle bag, along with a pair of jeans and a pair of shorts. He gathered about five pairs of socks and underwear, putting them in the bag.

"That didn't answer my question, what the hell are you doing?" Noticing they were visibly confused, Wil stopped what he was doing and looked them in the eyes.

"We're leaving. Grab your toothbrush." Was all he said before returning to packing more basics. A jacket, a tank top, their white converse, a few of their favorite CDs to listen to, and even some small snacks he ventured into the kitchen to grab.

(Y/N) obliged and headed towards the bathroom, looking around and grabbing what seemed important. Toothbrush, hair brush, dry shampoo, shampoo, conditioner and deodorant. They emptied out a random makeup bag and shoved what they had grabbed inside, walking back to their bedroom and throwing it in the bag.

Little to no words were spoken, the two of them just quickly packed what they found necessary and (Y/N) dressed down to a pair of basketball shorts and an old t-shirt, slipping on a pair of slippers. They grabbed a pen and old receipt off their nightstand and quickly wrote down on the back,

"Mom, I don't know when or if I'll be back, but I am safe. I'm leaving with Wil for a while. We didn't really discuss how long, but I can't imagine it being forever. I will see you again soon. -(Y/N)"

They placed the note on their pillow and zipped up the duffle bag. With the duffle bag halfway out the window, Wil put a hand on their shoulder.

"You really want to do this?" He asked, pulling (Y/N) into a hug, resting his chin on their head.

"I don't think my common sense wants to, but I know if we don't leave now we'll be stuck here for years and that's the last thing I'd like." They pulled away from each other and kissed, a short but sweet peck.

"Grab your money." Wil said, letting go of them as they melodramatically facepalmed, like grabbing the money was the most obvious thing to do.

(Y/N) got $560 worth of twenty dollar bills out of their money bank, before realizing the better idea would probably be to take the money bank. So, that's what they did. They shoved the money back in the bank and hauled it along with them. Duffle bag through the window and one last kiss, (Y/N) and Wil closed the window behind them and ran towards his old 60's Ford station wagon. It was old, ugly, and beaten up, but it was all his folks could afford. A car is a car, and anything that could get them out of Elkhart, Indiana was good enough for him.

They threw the duffle bag in the back seats and put their money bank in the glove compartment along with Wil's cash. Wil turned over the engine and waited for (Y/N) to buckle in before driving off. He didn't bother to look at a map at any point, he just decided it was best for them to drive without having a goal. That would be the best way to get away.

"How much cash you got?" (Y/N) asked after thirty minutes of silence on the nearest interstate highway.

"I brought about $1,210. Been saving up for a while. You?" He briefly looked over before turning his eyes back to the road.

"Only $560. That bowling alley job really did me in, minimum wage sucks!"

The two of them chatted for hours on the most useless things as they drove. Road signs told them that they were headed to Cincinnati, about two hundred fifty miles south of Elkhart. They had made a stop at a gas station and spent $20 on food and water for the next few days of driving. Not much, but just enough snacks to keep them fed.

"I should've told you beforehand, but I had to. I got that feeling in the pit of my stomach that things needed to change so I just packed up and headed to your house. But, if we had waited any longer to leave then we would've never left. We needed to get out, I'm so glad you decided to come." Wil rested a hand on (Y/N)'s thigh as he drove, smiling to himself.

"I wasn't about to let you go alone. I love you far too much to do that." They placed a hand on top of his and linked their fingers together.

"And I love you far too much to have gone without you."