Chapter 18: I'm Not Okay

Kiran was never one for breaking rules, so he couldn't remember the last time he was sent to the Principal's office. He didn't even recognize it past its entrance. The secretary sat behind a large desk, never once looking up at anyone who came by. Kiran had taken a seat on one of the chairs, two away from Tweedle Dumb and 45, who had also been sent there following their stupid fight. On top of the severe back pain from before, Kiran was also sporting a pulsing black eye. He had managed to give the other two bruises, but not enough to make them suffer - or at least, not as much as he was. They glared at him, clenching their fists as if trying to threaten him further, but he pretended not to notice.

If he was about to get suspended, or expelled, he wasn't going to give anyone the satisfaction of knowing they got to him.

What would his parents say if he were to get expelled? He was supposed to keep himself in check, keep his head down until the year was over, then return to New York unscathed. What would they think of him now? He didn't want to burden them with his problems, not when his sister's condition was gradually worsening. Maybe he could give the Principal the wrong contact information, ask a friend to cover for him.

But the sad thing was that he had no friends left.

"Kiran Jones, Edwin Smithson and Bradford Hallburn - Principal Matthews will see the three of you now," the secretary said, still not looking up at them.

"Together?" Kiran asked. He didn't want them in the room when the Principal handed him his punishment.

"Yes, together. You can go right in. Hurry along. It's after-hours and we all want to go home."

***

It had been exactly one months, six days, five hours and twenty-three minutes since Leigh Brighton dyed her hair. The red had been a trademark of hers for seven years, so getting rid of it was like the end of an era. Keeping a calendar of the tragic yet totally necessary loss made perfect sense. She had also bought a new wardrobe - nothing expensive, though she did manage to find a bunch of designer stuff at her favourite vintage shop, ones that lined up well with her new circle of friends. She had of course lied to them about the purchase, telling them everything was brand new and one-of-a-kind.

It was a drastic change, but a change she felt she needed .Shedding her old look meant she was leaving her childhood and finally growing up. Getting a life. No longer spending every Saturday at home marathoning Veronica Mars.

The fact that Aiden Ryerson was her boyfriend was icing on the grown-up cake.

The only unfortunately thing in Leigh's otherwise perfect new life was the fact that Carter was missing. It was like she had left a giant, Carter-shaped hole in Leigh's heart - a hole that pinched Leigh's insides every time she saw Carter at school. But what was she supposed to do? Hold herself back forever? Deny herself growth, fun and popularity because Carter didn't want any of it?

No. She had lived in Carter's shadow for far too long. She didn't want to keep mourning the death of their friendship. What she wanted was to really move on. For good. Because if there was one thing she had learned last year, it was that sometimes you have to let it go.

"Hey, did you hear? Kiran Jones got suspended for fighting," Elena Trace told Leigh when they met up for lunch. They had decided, as always, to eat outside in the field. It had become their thing, for whenever the weather allowed it. Why be bothered with all the noise and irritation of the cafeteria when they could have an entire, beautiful field to themselves?

"What? Really?"

"Apparently him and these two other guys got into it over Carter," Elena explained.