Heated

Wendy released my hand as we passed the threshold of the two dark oak doors that led into the large pack house. They led into a vaulted room that was balanced with a rounded stair case on each side, leading to a railed upstairs hallway. The floor was a white and black marble, covered partially by a large round rug between the two bases of the stairs. A door was on each side below the staircases.

She took off her shoes on the tile portion in front of the doors, opening up a large walk in closet. It was full of nothing but horizontal shelving for shoes. Each shelf contained drawers. She pulled one out, set her shoes inside, and gently touched it. It rolled back into place and made a click sound. High tech. I did the same.

"Kitchen is to the right, den to the left. Next two floors are all bedrooms, except for at the end of the halls. Those are game rooms where the boys mostly play. Outside in the back you'll find the pools, garden, and training yard a little past that. I'll give you the grand tour later. There are a few of us that want to meet you." She smiled and walked through the door into the kitchen area. Pools? Jesus.

The kitchen was almost as big as our entire house. It seemed like three kitchens in one. The middle was a large grey stone island, with a dozen dark wooden chairs on each side. Lining the edge of the room was counter space, with various stainless steel appliances thrown in. I counted three double fridges, as well as two large deep freezers at the end of the room. I gasped out loud.

"A little nicer than you're used to, but I assure you we're not as snooty as we seem." She rounded her way to the large island, and pushed over a bowl of apples.

"Eat something sweetheart, that was a long drive." Wendy patted a chair, and I sat quietly. She sat across from me. We remained quiet for some time.

"I was 16 years old when my mate bond hit me in the face like a damn bullet." Her voice broke the silent air. "I absolutely hated Patrick at first. He was an arrogant, selfish ass. But he was so damn sexy." She giggled. I raised a brow, not sure what to say. "Not long after that, Lucian happened. Baby Jenna soon after. And I tell you, I never thought I could have ever loved a man so much in my life." Her golden eyes bore into mine. I turned away.

"I know you hate it here. I know you hate the thought of being a mate." She said frankly. I glanced at her. "It was never something I intended." I confessed. "I always thought I'd be a fighter. I had years out into training only to be whisked away by some stranger to some strange land. No offense." I grabbed an apple from the bowl, rolling it between my hands.

"None taken, sweetie. Cambria, who said you can't still train? Who said you can't fight? That's something the Stone pack is known for. Our strength. We-" "Mother, shouldn't you give her a chance to breathe before you start putting ideas in her head?" Lucian broke her thoughts. He strolled in and sat next to me, eyeing his mother. He smiled playfully. "You were supposed to make sure Jenna was here to take Ayla shopping. She's going to freeze in this." His hand motioned to my shirt, which was a short sleeve, and I wore black shorts with it. I had barely felt much coming in, but it was noticeably colder here.

"Well, let me go see if I can wrangle her. She's probably upstairs with some of the boys." She laughed. Lucian sat, his face scowling at the thought. When she left, an awkward silence filled the room. Lucian turned to face me, and put his hand on my thigh.

"I know this is different for you, but it's different for me, too. There are some things I need to tell you about life here, okay?" I nodded, not looking at him. "Alright. First off, everyone here knows who you are by now. I only told my mother and Jenna yesterday, but by now they've informed a hundred people each, and those people have told everyone else." He paused, running his hand through his hair. He let out a large sigh.

"Ayla, I wasn't expecting to find a mate. Ever. I had spent three years searching and found no one. I thought surely my mate didn't exist, or maybe she died."His voice trailed off, almost sad.

"So I accepted that I was without a mate. I took over this pack, and I... I let my alpha side take over." He put his fingers on the bridge of his nose, shaking his head.

"I guess what I'm trying to say, is that I'm not a saint. I have been with women, quite a few. And I was seeing one until recently." He let out a long sigh. I could feel his eyes staring into me.

"What happened?" I asked, turning my head to look at him. I felt his hand squee my thigh, so softly I didn't know if he realized he was doing it. It sent lightning bolts up my leg, to my core. I was becoming wet. I could feel my virgin self throbbing like I had never felt before. My heat was getting worse. Soon, I don't know what I'd be willing to do.

"Why aren't we seeing each other anymore?" He asked. I nodded, holding his gaze. "Well, you happened I suppose. We weren't serious. I had my indiscretions, and she has been mine here at home. That's what I wanted to talk about. She lives in the pack house. If you wish, I'll tell her to go-" "So my sister was a goddamn indiscretion? That's what she was to you?" I blew up, my face felt like fire. His hand shot off of my thigh, and I stood facing him.

"Well I wonder what that makes me then, some trophy bitch? Why the fuck am I here, Lucian? Why didn't you just leave me the fuck alone, in my own pack! It would have saved us both the time." The words came out and I could see the hurt in his eyes. I couldn't control the words coming out of my mouth. My body was hot. I balled my fists, trying to steady my shaking hands.

"Cambria, please sit down. You're not yourself right now.." his hands went up, and he reached for my arm. I swung at it, smacking his hand away. I was going to kill him.