Whispers in the Wind

"Right," Willy said, "When our door guard takes another bathroom break, we leave. Through the window; fast as we can. We are two stories up, it shouldn't hurt us. Then, we find a sign and follow it."
Reilly looked up at him. "It seems simple enough," he whispered, "but what if one of us gets hurt?"
"I hope that doesn't happen," Willy stated, sighing, "But if it does, we'll work it out."
That seemed clear enough for Reilly, so he lay down and fell asleep in his brother's arms.

******************

Willy lay on the floor and stared at the ceiling. Silverfish continued to skitter from hole to hole. He rested his hands upon his chest and thought. I wonder if we ever will get out of this alive. Reilly is right, one of us is bound to get hurt. I hope it is me. I don't want to have to see him suffering. He is already so small and innocent. He looked at his brother's calm face, unaware of the surroundings. He is to young to understand what will happen to him if we stay here. The stress would kill both of us. His thoughts lingered on the word kill. He repeated it over and over in his mind.

Kill...kill...kill...kill...kill...

A bit of rain pitter-pattered on the roof, as though trying to say leave now! Leave now! Willy spent a moment contemplating the message. Nah. Rain can't talk. A sudden gust of wind burst through the window almost shouting the phrases he worried about the most leave now or your brother will be killed!

"Reilly, wake up. We're going now."
Reilly opened his eyes, then closed them again. "Five more-"
"No, we can't wait anymore." His wrist burned like a blazing campfire, like a beacon that signaled to him that they needed to go. "Jump out of the window."
"What!? No!"
"I'll go first, but you have to jump."
"Why!?"
"You don't seem to realize how urgent this is."
"I can't!"
"Either jump with me or live your entire life as a servant."
Reilly sighed. "Alright..." he stated reluctantly.
Willy grasped his hands in his own, and he held on as tight as he could.
"You ready?"
"As ready as I'll ever be."
"Okay. Three...two...one..."
Reilly sucked in a breath.
"Jump!"
The two siblings leaped from their window on the second floor and fell to the ground, hugging each other as if they would never see each other again.