Hope's Flaws

Reilly landed on his back in the dumpster below the window, with Willy landing on the metal rim which felt like being hit with a bullet when it struck him. He yelped and slammed face-first into a pile of beer cans and newspapers.
Reilly pulled himself and his older brother out of the dumpster. "Come on. They're gonna notice we are gone soon. Let's go!"
The duo ran for a park nearby and hid up in an oak tree. Willy, despite the horrific pain in his right side, kept watch for any guards searching for them and hid his pain from Reilly. He didn't need any more to worry about. Men armed with shotguns swarmed below them like angry bees. "Show yourselves, kids, or you'll taste one of these!" one man shouted and held out a bullet.
Reilly's expression changed. He looked at Willy, terrified. Willy shook his head.
The men held up their guns and fired into the trees. One struck the branch Reilly was laying on, blasting through and just barely missing his hand. He grasped his branch for dear life and he closed his eyes. Suddenly, the same man as before put down his gun. "I think they're in the trees!"
Willy had had enough. "And you ain't gonna get us!" he blurted. The men looked up at him. He would have been horrified, but adrenaline pumped through his blood. He muttered a few words under his breath, and out of the storm, three bolts of lightning struck right next to the man. They leaped back, shocked, and ran off asking each other, "Whatever are we going to tell the boss?"
Reilly looked at his older brother, awestruck. "I  had no clue you could do that!"
"I didn't know, either, Reilly. Go!"
They jumped out of the tree and ran into the nearby woodlands to find a safe spot to restore their energy.
************
Up in the cover of the branches of a huge oak, Reilly and Willy made a hammock with the branches. "You should sleep, Reilly," Willy told his brother, "I'll take the first watch. I'm not all too tired." This was a lie, he wanted to check on his injuries, but his brother didn't argue.
"M'kay. Goodnight, Willy."
As soon as Willy knew his brother was asleep, he took off his shirt and looked at the bruises on his side from the impact with the dumpster's rim. His entire side was black and purple and steadily oozing with scarlet blood. He touched it gently and he could feel that he had definitely broken a rib. Oh, well. I guess it could have been worse. He cringed as he put his shirt back on. He hoped he could hide his injury long enough from Reilly, but he doubted it. I guess I should show him when it heals a little bit.
Just as he thought that, Reilly sat up. "What's wrong, Willy? Are you okay?"
Willy sighed. "I'm alright. Its my-" he tried to think of a good excuse for cringing, "-wrist. Go back to sleep."
"No, it isn't. I saw you hit the rim of that dumpster. What is wrong?"