Chapter Six.

I look at Yusuf, who looked so calm then back at Humaira who was almost hyperventilating.

They dated?
He never even told her he got married?
This was not how I expected to start my Sunday morning, it was supposed to be a great day.

Yusuf huffs and rests his eldows on his thighs, slouching. "Khadijah?"
"Hmm?"

"Can you please give us a moment?"
I nod "Okay".

I didn't want to be here right now, I feel like I backstabbed my friend. I always told her I wanted to meet Yusuf but she always found one way or another to make excuses for me not to, I'm not saying it's justified but it's also not my fault.

It's Yusuf who should have at least told her he got married, he doesn't need to tell her who it is because he's not obliged to but at least he should have thought of the time they were together. She must be heartbroken.

And they're hundreds and thousands of Yusuf in Kaduna only so it's not my fault.
Do I make sense?

I leave the two.

Humaira's POV.

After all I did to get him.
After all the humiliation I went through to stay with him.

After all the tears I've shed for him.
After every sacrifice I made.

Flashback.

Khadijah's parents had just passed away. I was always there to keep her company and console her because it hit her more than anyone else.

But Yusuf, he showed up on the third day with his two siblings. I liked him the moment I laid my eyes on him.

He didn't seem interested in me no matter what I said that day.
I saw his brother walk out so I told Mama Babbah that my mum called me and told me to get home because of an emergency so I got up and followed him out, the boy looked distraught and I saw it as an opportunity.

"Hello"
He looks at me uninterested, they're definitely brothers.
"Can I help you?"

"You're the only one outside, have you paid your condolences?"
"Yes I have".

"And you're out already?"
"Being inside makes me feel choked".

I smile "what's your name?"
He looks at me unsure but answers anyway "Khalipha".

And from there he and I kept talking until finally Yusuf came out and joined us, Khalipha left and my conversation with him lasted another 30mins, he even offered me a ride.

And that was how everything started.

The End Of Flashback.

From where I sat down I could see them conversing in the dinning room though I couldn't hear them because of the distance.
She willingly agreed to let us talk so why did he have to follow her out?

Is she trying to mock me?

The most difficult part of my relationship with Yusuf wasn't getting him to notice me or using his brother to get his attention, it was keeping him.
There was times he would be so busy he'd forget to call me for days, or when his grandmother tells me hurtful words so I can walk away from the relationship but I still held on and now Khadijah just gets him? No way.

He comes back and sits next to me. I was still sniffling.
He puts his arms around my shoulder, tapping it gently. There's no point enjoying his embrace anymore when he can't be mine.

I push him away.
"I'm sorry. I should have told you but work was too much and—"

"Work? It's still going to be work? That's still your excuse?" I stare at him "It's been three weeks and you couldn't call your girlfriend to tell her you're getting married? Do you know how stupid and betrayed I feel for walking into your house and finding out you're married?"

He huffs "I'm sorry. I know I've been inconsiderate towards you after everything you've done for me and I don't want to come up with excuses, I don't need to. Things just happened and I didn't have control over it, I have to admit I didn't fight but I wanted to come see you personally when you got back next week, I wasn't expecting you to show up today".

I scoff "Kaka, right? She got you married".
He says nothing.
"And as usual you didn't fight it? This time is it because you respect her too much to decline or because being married to Khadijah didn't seem like a bad idea?"

I smile "But I'll be honest with you, I'm glad it was Khadijah and not someone else" I lie.

There's no law that states a man can't have more than one wife, infact based on our religion you can marry up to four so being number two doesn't sound so bad.

"Really?" He asks unsure.
"She and I have been friends for 18years, so at least that's consolation".

He hugs me.
It was unexpected so I froze. "You really are an amazing woman, I know I've also lost a lot".

I smile "I know".

Yusuf's POV.

Khadijah got back a while ago with Laila, Khalipha, Khalid and Maryam so they can spend a few days here but she has been behaving oddly. She looks sad and disturbed so I didn't say anything to her.
To let her calm down so I don't make things worse.

"What are you watching?" She asks when she walks inside the living room.

"Madam Secretary"
"I thought you finished watching it?" She asks sitting on the arm of the couch.

"I thought I did too" I huff "What's wrong?"
"Nothing"

"You can't say nothing when your face and body language says something different".
"I'm fine".

"I don't think so".
"Will you stop pestering me!?"

I raise my eyebrows "It's either you tell me or you walk out. I have no time for your drama today".

She scoffs "This is one of the reasons I wish I married Mujib".
I burst out laughing, hysterically.

"So this is about him? If I had know I wouldn't have asked".
"It doesn't have to be about him".

"Yeah okay" I say sarcastically increasing the tv volume.

She walks out obviously pissed.
Maybe I should have just married Humaira or maybe this is my punishment for the way I treated her.

Oh God forgive me.

::