04 | carlen (req)

WORKOUT
carl & lauren

warning;
lil angst, mostly fluff

prompt;
"You fainted...straight into my arms. You know, if you wanted my attention you didn't have to go to such extremes."

_____

requested by @resolou

   "Carl this isn't the time for your life lessons," Lauren grunted in between breaths as she let go of the bar above her and took a breath. Everything was going well in her workout session before Carl barged in and told her for the millionth time how he didn't agree with this.

"It's not a-look. I know you wanna kill Negan, but now's not the time. Not by yourself. You're not strong enough." Carl explained while watching her get back on the bar to continue her pull-ups. Even if she couldn't speak as she was concentrating on her breathing, he knew that made her more angry.

She let go for another break. "I need to do this, okay? Somebody has to. If no one else will step up, it'll be me." She turned to him with a glare before walking past him, purposefully hitting his shoulder. "Now, if you'll excuse me, I'll be working on the punching bag."

Carl watched curiously now as she wrapped bandages around her fists. He payed close attention to her breathing, which was very heavy.

"Lauren, you don't seem alright. Maybe this is too much for you-"

"It isn't!" She blurted out, pulling harshly on the bandage in her hand. She winced quietly at the tightness of it. "I've done more than this before."

Her complexion was even paler than before, and she looked tired as ever. This wasn't a good sign.

"Maybe just take a break," Carl suggested as he watched her weakly hit the red punching bag. She was too exhausted for this.

"I'm...fine..." Lauren panted while attempting the throw heavy punches towards the object. Her eyes began to flutter shut, and before he knew it he could sense her falling apart. Rushing over, her body fell into his arms,
the two falling to the ground.

He knew she was working too hard. Lauren had a habit of crossing the line.

A few hours had passed before she woke up, laying in their bed. Carl was reading a comic beside her, rushing to turn towards her when she began to stir.

"What the hell..." she murmured, wondering what had happened.

Carl sighed while placing a cold cloth onto her forehead. "You fainted...straight into my arms. You know, if you wanted my attention you didn't have to go to such extremes."

Lauren snorted, as she usually did when he made a joke. He loved to see her laugh; it wasn't often he got to see her be naturally happy.

"Shut up," she playfully whined while sitting up and taking the cloth off. Carl stayed right by her side, holding her as if he was ready for her to faint again.

"I know you're waiting for me to say it," Lauren said while glancing at her feet.

Carl pressed his lips inwards while nodding. "I guess you could say that I'd love to hear those 3 magical words."

She rolled her eyes while looking Carl in the eye. "Fine. You were...somewhat correct."

"Not the words I was hoping for, but okay," Carl explained with a shrug, rubbing his hand up and down her arm subconsciously.

Lauren searched his eyes for a second before cuddling closer to him. "Can you read to me?"

He could never say no to that.

_____