07 | carlen (au)

COME BACK
carl & lauren

warning;
just all sadness. and angst. and character death. this is an ep 809/810 au of carlen. enjoy :')

_____

Each push weakened her bones, even more than they already were. The hot sun beat down on her. It shouldn't be sunny. It should be rain clouds, and storms. Today was not a sunshine day.

Heaving breaths escaped Lauren's lips, her whole body seconds from collapsing. Her arms ceased to move. She couldn't do it anymore.

She wanted to cry, but no tears came. She was empty of all things that made her human anymore.

Reddened eyes looked up into the sky, clouds swirling in her vision. Each step she started taking felt like quicksand, falling deeper into the ground.

Lauren dropped the shovel. She could feel two stares on her. One of them said for her to take a break. She couldn't even muster a nod.

Her feet took her away. She found herself in a shaded area, below an old oak tree that shaded cool grass. As soon as she came over, her body fell into the grass, landing on her knees. Her breathing became deeper, and louder, panic surging through her veins. But it didn't take long before she was even too tired to breathe so harshly.

Lauren blinked away the tears, realizing her sudden calmness came from her squeezing onto her necklace. With trembling lips, she glanced down. Maybe it was just a dream. Maybe it didn't happen. She couldn't tell what was real or fake anymore.

A small ring and a stone shaped into a bird that hung at the end of her necklace told her the truth.

Lauren wept silently under the old oak tree, eyes dried from any more tears, and only raw breaths escaping her dry throat. All she had left was the necklace.

How could she come back from this?

1 DAY AGO

Everything around her began to spin, as her head shook violently, tearing her eyes away from the wound on his abdomen. She could barely understand the jumbled words coming from her mouth.

"I was b-"

"Stop, no, no, we need, we need, we need medicine, I can't..." All the rest of her words turned into a jumble of incoherent mumbles, her back hitting the wall in defeat. This wasn't real. This wasn't real. This wasn't real.

She couldn't understand her mind anymore.

"I was with him when-" The stranger began speaking, but it didn't take long before Lauren stumbled towards him, grasping his shirt.

"Did you do this to him? YOU KILLED HIM!" Lauren screamed, eyes brimming with tears, knuckles turning white. The stranger shook his head, staring into her angry eyes. Those were the eyes of a monster ready to attack, he must have thought.

"Lauren, please..." she heard him mumble, Lauren's hands shaking, slowly releasing the stranger's shirt as she turned to the boy on the floor, eyes glossed over.

He was just a boy. And she was just a girl. They were too young for this.

Lauren's head cocked to the side, lips trembling, noticing the pain in his eyes. Not from the wound, but from the loss he was experiencing.

He must have known that Lauren was physically and mentally nothing without Carl.

"Come here," he whispered, and Lauren practically melted into the floor, falling into his arms, holding him so tightly she thought that he might turn to dust if she let go.