《chapter three》

Before I went to the library, I entered the washroom.

I loosened my hair, letting it fall down, just below my shoulders. I liked to keep them above, but Christie's been busy with some kind of charity. Call her a typical white suburban mom, but she gave me a house and her charities actually benefited the less fortunate. Christie was a nice woman, all in all. Except for when she bought me all those makeup and stuff.

Wait. Makeup and stuff.

Whilst my biological mother insisted that the most important thing was to begin with the end in mind, Christie was a little... um, well, I suppose she would be considered a bit controversial if put side to side with my mother. "Enhance, not fix," she would tut while applying lip gloss. "A little makeup never hurt nobody."

"Come on," I murmured. I knew she had left a small little kit of makeup ("Everybody should have an emergency touch up kit.") somewhere in my bag.

I hit something foreign at the bottom of my bag and pulled it out. It was a makeup bag. I unzipped it carefully, peering inside.

Um... foundation? Concealer... lip gloss, of course...

I decided to put on some of the concealer under my eyes. The lip gloss left a pink stain that looked... kind of nice. I smiled uncertainly. I looked... considerable.

Gosh. It felt like I was one of those teenage girls getting ready for their first dates.

Which, I know, I know. It wasn't a date, but... well, it was the closest I would ever get to one, because breakups were painful and hard, so I would never say yes.

But here Zachary was, the perfect human specimen without a visible end in my mind.

So I should better make my chance at this count.

--

I saw Zachary right away.

"Hey." I set my backpack down before sitting.

"Hi," He replied. "You look nice with your hair down."

He touched it lightly and I jolted, surprised, once again, thinking the imagery of our ending would be forced onto me.

But it didn't so I gave a shy smile and a whispered, "Thanks".

"So, my paper is kind of like, about science." Zachary gave a small pout which was just downright adorable.

"That's hard," I commented.

"I know," He sighed. "So, I guess I have to go look for some reference books first."

"Uh, I can help," I offered.

"Really?" He said happily. "Great!"

Oh, gosh, it just wasn't fair at all that he was good looking, friendly and adorable. Why couldn't he have some sort of bad trait that would make me not like him as much?

I followed him to the science area of the library. "So," I began, feeling a little better now that I was kind of more in my zone. "What's the topic?"

Zachary didn't respond. Did he not hear me? "Um. Cos, the topic would make it more helpful for me to find what kind of book to go for..."

I turned around and Zachary was staring right at me, eyes narrowed.

"Zachary?" I trailed off.

His arms were folded in front of his chest, his brown eyes cold, staring right down at me, just bordering cruel.

Oh, God. It was all a trap. Of course. Someone as pretty as him, hanging out with someone like me? Dumb Ellie.