Chapter Four: The House on the Water

The next morning, she and Caesar made their way to the house on the water. She had never been inside of it, but she had spent many hours wondering what it was like. The Admiral's house was the biggest one in town and had big open bay windows, turrets, gables, porches, wind chimes, stained glass, and weathervanes. It was a big house, even for the five people who lived there. The Admiral and the Washington sisters were all strange in their own ways. Admiral Shepard, like Starling, seemed as if he was always ready to head back to some mystery ship. Coy had seen him act oddly over the years. He would stand high up in the towers of the house looking out to sea with his telescope. The Washington sisters seemed very old and acted identically though one was very large and one was very small. They finished each other's sentences and constantly seemed to berate each other if one acted in a singular fashion. Coyote didn't know either of them, though the Admiral had come to her mother's funeral and spoken a long time with her father. She remembered the Washington sisters had sent cookies. Her father knew them all. She had asked about them years ago, asked how he knew them, but her father only said that he, the Admiral and the Washington sisters had lived in this small town all their lives. If you live somewhere long enough, you come to know nearly everyone eventually. Making her way, the last distance to the house Coy realized that perhaps her father was right. It seemed like she had waited long enough and was now getting the opportunity to meet the inhabitants and see the house. She was very excited to be inside the beautiful and mysterious house and figured it would be worth dealing with Sarah's desire for perfection, fingers crossed.

Coy climbed the steps up the grand porch and knocked on the large door. The Admiral opened the door and smiled.

"Hello, Coyote. I heard we might be seeing you this weekend. Starling is collecting the flags, perhaps you could assist him." He bowed her into the house.

"Is it alright if Caesar comes in?" Coy asked.

"Hmmmm, I presume Caesar knows where the bathroom is and isn't?"

"Yes, sir."

"What about cats? What are Caesar's feelings about cats? As you see, Ms. and Ms. Washington have two cats that I'm sure you will come across."

"Caesar likes cats. They don't usually like him, but I promise he won't eat them."

"Good, that would be very inconvenient if he ate my tenants' cats. If Caesar can follow those two rules he's as welcome to this home as you are."

Caesar, who was sitting next to Coy as they spoke, woofed to show he understood. The Admiral bowed the two of them once again into the house.

Once inside the Admiral blew a loud whistle which caused Caesar to bark again. "Sorry to surprise you, Caesar," the Admiral said bending down to pet the big dog. There was the sound of feet on the staircase, and Starling's feet appeared followed by the rest of him.

"Yes, Uncle?" he called before he could see Coyote.

"Let Coy help you with the flags," he said before abruptly turning and walking off down the hall.

Starling lifted his hand in greeting. Coy thought it was funny that even now he was dressed so cleanly, so perfectly. It was as if he was still in the military. Starling looked at Caesar cautiously. "That's a big dog."

"Don't worry, it's just Caesar, he won't hurt you."

"Well come on, the flags are up in the attic."

"Cool," Coy responded, and they followed him up the staircase.

Coyote thought the house was really great. The walls were all covered in neat stuff. There were nautical maps, swords, ships in bottles, flags, and loads of old photographs. Everything was clean and wooden. It was like a museum. Coy gaped as they walked, though. "This is great," she said in disbelief.