Special Chapter 34B: Two Guys, Two Cups, and a Pack of Cookies

Joaquin's Point-of-View

Sean: Mmmmhello?

Thank God, he picked up the phone.

Me: Sean, Dude... You asleep na?

He sounds like he's fallen asleep na.

Sean: Just about. My eyes are giving up na.

Me: Get up muna.

Come on, Sean, please.

Sean: Huh? Why?

Joaquin: Get up and look outside your window.

I've been standing in front of their gate, just far enough so he might be able to see me through his window.

Yes!

I see him raise the blinds.

Me: Dude, are you just gonna look at me from the window?

Sean: Sorry, wait... Kunin ko lang yung susi.

I wait for like a minute before I could see him open the front door to head to the gate. I could hear him fumble with the keys and nahulog pa niya yata because I heard him swear before the sound of the gate's lock clicking. Finally, he emerges from the gate. Yup, he's already in his sleepwear. He looks like a kid in the white shirt and that loose shorts he's wearing.

Sean: What are you doing here?

Me: Why? Ayaw mo? I'll go home na lang.

I pretend like I'm going to ride my car and he immediately grabs my left arm.

Sean: No, no, no... I didn't mean it that way.

Me: Wait, let me just get something from the car.

Sean: Promise?

He hangs on tighter. I hope there's a CCTV footage of this somewhere because I wanna have a memory this scene one day. It's like Sean's a kid trying to hang on to his favorite toy: Joaquin.

Me: Yes. May kukunin lang nga me sa car, Dude.

I open the passenger seat to get what I bought a while ago: two cups of hot chocolate. The barista was nice enough to place them on a cup tray. And I also got a pack of Keebler's soft batch chocolate chip cookies.

Me: Let's go, Sean.

_ _ _

Sean: Why didn't you tell me you were coming?

He's holding on to the paper cup containing the hot chocolate with both of his hands.

Me: Then that would spoil the surprise.

I respond while tearing off the corner of the soft batch chocolate chip cookie's packaging to open it.

Sean: You look good by the way.

I'm still wearing the clothes I had on: a dark blue long-sleeved shirt and slacks.

There's this welcome dinner slash early birthday celebration I had to attend. My mom's eldest sister is in the country and kaya my mom insisted for us to come kasi her sched is really tight and she flies for Bacolod tomorrow afternoon. She wants to stay in Bacolod longer while she's in the country.

Me: This? I wanted you to see nga what I picked to wear kaso busy ka na kanina eh. How did it go?

Sean: Can we space that out for now? But I think I did well — I think.

Me: Okay, have it with the cookie.

I take one of the cookies and raise it towards Sean's lips. He takes a bite from it, biting off almost half of the cookie. I take the half, and parang inaasar ko siyang sinubo yung cookie. Indirect Kiss, right? Yeah, I copied that from a movie I saw long ago, and I could see Sean blush in the warm light of his room.

I check my watch and take a sip of the hot chocolate.

Me: Sean...

Sean: Hmmm?

Me: Happy Valentines, Sean.

Sean's lower lip drops and his mouth opens slightly as his eyes also open wider while looking at me. His room is dim with only the warm light of the lamp illuminating us, but I swear I could see his face glowing at this moment.

He's not saying anything.

I lean over, my face inching to reach his. Hindi pa rin siya gumagalaw like he's frozen.

And when my face is just near enough...

I kiss him.

_ _ _