Epilogue - Always the Aftermath

Daphne woke up in warm, unfamiliar covers. She stretched and smiled sleepily, liking the way the heavy quilt felt on her toes. "Good morning, sleepy," said someone gently. Sabine. "You had a big night, so I let you sleep in. But there's something you should see downstairs."

She yawned and got out of Sabine's bed, which she'd insisted she borrow for the night, and headed downstairs. Sabine's parents were still away, so they'd brought all the freed ex-witches here. Daphne hoped they wouldn't return early and find a dozen strangers talking about magical powers in their house.

In the kitchen, Laurel was putting something into the oven. "Hello, girls," she said. She again had her long hair coiled up on top of her head and was wearing her brightly colored, sweeping robes, though the regal effect was somewhat ruined by the pink-and-white checked apron she wore over her clothes. "Apple turnover will be ready soon. It's the first thing I made without magic in years, so it may not be right... but I'm sure it will be fine. And if not, we can always get ice cream."

"I'm happy you're back, mom," Daphne said, beaming at her. "Sabine, is this what you wanted to show me?"

"There's more. Come out to the back with me."

Daphne followed Sabine to her back porch and was surprised to see all of the ex-witches gathered there. They looked intently at Rhode, who held a baseball bat. "This is a bat," she explained. "Mortals use it to play a game called baseball, which is the best game in the world, but it can also be used to bash Reliqua into goo. It works best on heads." She swung it in the air to demonstrate. Some of the ex-witches scribbled down notes.

Sabine smiled. "They all said they wanted to help us fight Reliqua, even if they don't have magic."

Daphne looked at Sabine as she watched the ex-witches practice. Her gray eyes had dark circles under them, her hair had bits of pebbles stuck in it, and her t-shirt was wrinkled and covered with rock dust and sweat. And she was beautiful. Her soft smile glowed even brighter than the spring sunlight flowing down into the backyard.

Daphne slipped her hand into hers.

Sabine looked down, then up at Daphne. Her eyes were wide with surprise, but the next moment, she smiled. A blush spread up her cheeks.

Daphne blushed too and turned her face away to hide what she was sure was a ridiculous grin, but she kept her hand in Sabine's.

Gentle fingers turned her face back to Sabine, who looked at her with twinkling eyes. "I'm going to say it again," she breathed, stepping forward until their foreheads touched. "Meeting you was the best thing to ever happen to me."

"Me too," Daphne said. And she leaned in, stood up on her tiptoes, and kissed her. With the sunlight streaming down on them and the smell of cinnamon drifting through Sabine's open kitchen window, it was better than she ever imagined. Perfect. She could feel her heart beating like a hummingbird as Sabine moved forward, kissing her back.

"Apple turnover is done, girls!" her mother sang, throwing the back door open. "It's a little burned but-- oh!"

Daphne pulled away and looked at her mother, who flushed, then started to grin at her daughter. "I-- um-- turnapple-- turnover is done," she stuttered, as if the words couldn't find their way out of her smiling mouth.

"Thanks, mom," she said, fighting back a laugh. "You want some turnover?" she asked Sabine.

"Yes, please," she said, still blushing furiously. "I'll get it."

"Wait! One more thing." She caught her hand again. "Would you teach me how to fight without magic?"

She grinned. "Daphne, I've been waiting for you to ask. Hold on, I'll get my saber!" she said before running off back into the house.

Daphne smiled as she watched her go, remembering the first day she had seen her. Her life had certainly changed since then, hadn't it? And there were more changes to come. Where would the ex-witches stay after Sabine's parents came back? How would they make a living without the help of magic? Would the Coven try to find them and capture them again? There were so many things that were uncertain... but as Rhode sauntered over with the bat on her shoulder, and asSabine bounded back, sword in one hand and a plate of apple turnover in the other, Daphne let the worries slip from her mind.

Right now she just wanted to fight some monsters with her best friends.