The Dragon's Call

Chapter 1 - The Dragon's Call

No young woman, no matter how great, can know her destiny. She cannot glimpse her part in the great story that is about to unfold. Like everyone, she must live and learn. And so it will be for the young warlock arriving at the gates of Camelot. A girl that will, in time, mother the legend. Her name: Marilyn.

A light fog hung close to the ground and not a single sound could be heard from the small village of Ealdor. There were only two awake before the sun. On the edge of the village stood a small cottage where two women were saying their farewells. The first was a middle-aged woman with hair tucked into a scarf with some of her dark tendrils falling to frame her face. Her dress was aged and well worn from work in the fields. The second was her daughter, a tall young woman with similar dark hair and eyes the color of the sky.

"I'm going to miss you, my sweet daughter." The older woman said, reaching up to cup her daughter's face.

"I will miss you too mother. If you ever need anything, don't hesitate to write. I'll come as soon as I can." The girl replied, pulling her mother into a tight embrace.

"Promise me you'll be careful? I hate the thought of your exposure." Her mother whispered in her ear. She could clearly hear the worry and distress in her mother's voice. Sending her away had been the last resort and unfortunately, because she had nearly been discovered by the village drunk, she had to leave to keep both her and her mother safe.

"I promise. I shall write to you every week about my adventures in Camelot." She told her mother.

"Give this to Gaius when you reach Camelot, he will give you a place to stay until you find a permanent residence." Her mother pulled a letter from the folds of her dress and handed it to her. She took the letter and tucked it away in her pack for safekeeping.

"I will. I love you." She replied pulling her mother into one last embrace.

"I love you more my sweet girl." Her mother pulled away and brought her head down to kiss her forehead. With their farewells finally over, Marilyn turned and began her four-day journey to Camelot.

Four days passed by in a blur for her as she walked through the forest and outlying villages. Her mother had been short of food when she had left and to make up for it she had gone hunting the first night. With the bow she had made at a younger age, she managed to kill a rabbit or two. She cooked them the first night, giving her food for her journey. She had been lucky that her travels were uninterrupted by danger. Not a single soul or animal so much as came near her in the four days it took her to reach the lower towns of Camelot.

At the edge of the forest, she allowed an illusion to cover her female form. In her years in Ealdor, she had learned how to trick the eyes of the beholder into seeing her as a boy. This trick allowed her to keep her head down and the keep attention off her. Here in Camelot, she would be Merlin instead of Marilyn. As a young man, she would have more opportunities for work than as a woman. And she was less likely to have a repeat of what happened in Ealdor. She shuddered at the thought. She shook the thought from her mind and stood straight, with confidence, no matter how fake it felt.

"Here goes nothing." She muttered to herself, her voice coming out deeper. She chuckled, knowing it would take a while for her to get used to her new form and voice.

She left the edge of the forest and made her way towards the citadel. As she walked through the lower town she couldn't help but smile and stare at everything around her in awe. In her 20 years, she had never been outside the borders of Ealdor. In comparison to the plain quiet town she had grown up in, this lower town of Camelot was bustling with life. Merchants lined the streets of the market selling various items. Guards patrolled the town ensuring the safety of the people. Up ahead was the castle courtyard where she could see a crowd gathering and a man's voice carrying over the bustle of the market.