• Chapter 4 || What's a God to a Lost Believer? •

A/N: Sorry that it's been so long since the last update for this, but I managed to pull out a chapter. Whoop whoop! Hopefully it lives up to expectations! I'll try my best to keep my updates more regular from now on (even if work might get a bit crazy!) Give me some feedback on how the characters are developing, and I would absolutely LOVE some of your thoughts on Kane and Sirius' friendship. Happy reading, y'all!

 •••  

Kane flung the door to his house open wide, shocking Sirius— who had, in fact, been decorating Kane's sofa— enough that the star spun over, effectively rolling himself onto the floor with a thump. He lay there twisted up, groaning slightly before shifting to face up at the ceiling. "No warning at all? You busted in here like you were going to rob the joint... could've at least knocked."

"Except for the fact that this is my house, and you're the one who actually broke in." Kane leaned casually against the door frame as Sirius picked himself up off the floor.

"Details, details." Sirius brushed himself off, then smugly added, "Plus it's not breaking in if you use a key. Like perhaps the spare one you hide up in the porch light?"

"How do you even know about that?" Kane muttered lowly, eyes narrowed in displeasure. Would Sirius ever learn? "I have to find a new hiding place for that," he groaned, rubbing at the side of his head with a low sigh of exasperation.

Sirius sat back on the couch and motioned for Kane to join him. "Isn't it a bit too earlier for you to back from work anyway?" he asked as his friend begrudgingly trudged over and flopped down on the cushion. "You usually don't get back here until night begins to fall."

Kane nodded softly in agreement. "Today's been a long day..." he answered with a vague wave of his hand.

Sirius turned and leaned forward toward his friend, a curious glimmer alighting those ruby red eyes like a searing brand. "Don't give me that," he scoffed, "I demand a proper explanation."

Kane gave a smile, but the expression held all the confliction held him back from making a concrete decision. "You haven't heard about the mines?" He decided to start at the root of the problem.

The star gave his head a small shake, eyes downcast in thought. "No... what happened?"

"Someone broke in. The Overseer refuses to give details, but another source told me that our moonstones were corrupted. There's going to be an investigation," Kane's words started to blur into one another as he spoke, and the boy hardly even breathed in his rush to explain.

Sirius' dark brows knit together as he considered what Kane told him, but he didn't seem to question the validity of Kane's claims. Rather, it seemed another aspect of the story had caught his attention. "Another source?"

Kane pressed his lips tightly against each other, letting out a soft breath through his nose. "Sirius, have you ever met a god or goddess?" he asked simply.

The Peculiarity inhaled sharply, shoulders tensing— a strange reaction for the usually calm and carefree Sirius. "Beings like them only care about two things in this world: themselves and their power," he snarled, lips twisted in disgust and twitching with rage.

"Sirius...?" Kane kept his tone as level as he could muster, but the intense reaction he'd been given concerned him. It wasn't like Sirius at all to be so worked up.

The star's expression softened slightly, and he cleared his throat as he turned his gazed back on Kane. "To answer your question plainly— yes, I have, but they only act in their own best interests." He ran a hand back through his inky hair and ruffled it, chewing on his lip as he drew out his pause. "Don't tell me..." Sirius frowned, staring his friend down. "One of them?"