Chapter Nine 💙💚💛💜

In a daze, I stood in front of the firm. I slowly take my phone out of my pocket that read 4:58 am.

F**k me!

It's too early for this bullsh*t. I was told to be in front of this mutherf***ing firm by five. It's two minutes til, and no sign of life yet. Hell, the roosters aren't even awake at this godforsaken hour.

When I won the challenge yesterday, I wasn't expecting to be waking up at freaking three, and being here by four-thirty in the morning. I couldn't even get a freaking coffee to help put a little umph in my step.....so much for that.

I checked my phone again that read 5:00 am on the dot and right on cue, a black Escalade rode up to the curb in front of me. The back door opens and Ayala steps out of the car with a chipper smile on her face.

The f**k is wrong with her? Is she not aware of what time it is?

"Buenos Dias, Señor Sawyer," she says in what I assume is her native tongue.

Yeah, it's way too early for this sh*t.

She pulls me into a hug, waking me up a little more before pulling away. I bid her a good morning and forced out a tired smile.

"Hope this isn't too early for you!" She said with a smile. Yeah, I knew she was laughing at my groggy movements and attitude.

Well no s**t it's too early for this s*t!

"No, not at all Miss. Ayala. I'm up and ready to go," I lied.

"Well vamos!" She said as she walked back to the SUV and got in, leaving the door opened for me to slide in next to her.

I can't even lie though, she was a lot more pleasant to be around than Ivy was. Once I shut the door, the driver pulled off and I felt the seat shift from her side of the car.

"So, Señor Sawyer," she began. I lowkey liked being called 'Señor', ha! "We're going to take a trip to the Jersey courts today."

I looked at her, checking if this was a lie or not. But by the look on her face, it wasn't a lie at all.

"Word?"

"Yes sir. Since we're in Manhattan, all we have to do is go through the tunnel to take us to New Jersey. So since it's early, traffic should be serene and we should be there in no time. But first I want to give you the run down of how today is going to go," she then picked up her phone and typed away at it before placing it back on her lap.

"Once we get there, we have to be on the move. Court starts at six-fifteen and we have to practically run to the courtroom, depending on what time we get there. Ivy said you think you have to go through metal detectors and things of that sort," she giggled at my naive moment in the past. "But, when you're connected to the name Raven, you won't have to worry about that. Comprende?"

"Yes ma'am."

"Good, now let's get a move on. We're here."

She exited out the SUV before I noticed we were stopped. I looked out my window at the huge courthouse before exiting the car and following Ayala in. She and I had small conversations as we walked to wherever we were going. In our conversations I gathered that Ayala was Dominican and American.

Though she is bilingual, her native tongue is Spanish, and English is second language. In other conversations were her learning different things about myself and how proud she was of me since I've been an intern at the firm. Truly, a sweet woman.

We made a sharp left into another hallway and my eyes sought out the person I was hoping to see sooner than later.

Miss. Mayra Raven.