15 | Tim: The Aftermath

"I don't think I did anything wrong."

"I will hang up on you if you say that one more time." I muttered angrily, restraining myself from throwing the phone across the room. "You had an active dating profile while we were in a relationship that I, at least, considered to be pretty serious. And not only did you go on the profile, but you were actually using me and my family to make yourself seem more desirable." I paused for a moment, and when he didn't speak, I voiced a question: "That doesn't seem like anything 'wrong' to you?"

Tim was silent for a moment, and I wondered if the line had gone dead before he finally spoke.

"I realize that what I did may have offended you. But I would like to know if you could give me a second chance to prove that I truly like you and want to be with you. Only you."

I shook my head before realizing that he couldn't see me.

"No. I've been hurt too many times to give out second chances."

Tim let out a chuckle.

"Alright, Sam. But just for the next guy's sake? Don't think that second chances are a terrible idea. Sometimes guys mess up, and it isn't even our faults. I'm not saying this was the case with me. But don't rule out second chances and sympathy completely." He paused for a moment. "Sometimes we just need time to realize what we're throwing away."

I was silent. I didn't know what to say.

I didn't want to give him another chance. I didn't plan on it. But I had no idea how to say that without sounding like a complete jerk.

"You don't have to say anything." Tim spoke after a few minutes of silence on my part. "I sincerely wish you the best."

The line went dead.

I sat still for a few moments, staring at the phone in my hand. What was so inherently wrong with me that I refused to give a second chance to a guy who had sounded like he sincerely wanted it...maybe even sincerely deserved it? I was so beyond the capability of trusting people that I seemed to be dead set on ruining my own life.

But I hadn't started out that way. So somewhere along the line, in the past two years where I had decided to give dating a try, I had been warped into my current personality by others.

Or maybe that was just my way of not feeling guilty about it.

The phone rang again and I flipped it over quickly, hoping against all my better instincts that it was Tim. But it wasn't.

"Hey." I answered the phone, flopping back against my headboard. "We talked."

"And?" Jess asked, her voice sounding hopeful.

"We're done."

A sigh could be heard from the other end of the line.

"Alright." Jess said, sounding defeated. "I won't even say anything. It's your life and your decision."

"Thank you."

"Yep." Silence. Then, "I have something that might make you feel better."

"Shoot." I replied.

"Kevin's cousin is coming into town this weekend." Jess said, "His name is Andrew, he's our age, and he seems super sweet from when Kevin was talking to him on the phone a few minutes ago."

"Jess--"

"Just hear me out." She continued, "He lives in Austin, but he's moving down here in a few weeks for his dad's job, and to be closer to family. I was just thinking that if the thing with Tim didn't work out--"