19 | Andrew: Part Four

"It's official?"

"It's official."

"That was definitely an acceptable reason to wake us up."

The morning after my incredible date with Andrew marked the first time I had ever willingly woken up before 8:00 on a weekend, and I had immediately made the entire group of girls come over to my house. They were all lounging around my room, and I was pretty sure Jess was snoring.

"How did it happen?"

"I don't know..." I trailed off, looking out the window as if I were in a rom-com, "It was just perfect, though. It's almost as if nothing happening for the first month made it that much better."

"That's so cute." Emily gushed, "I wish a guy would take me on a picnic. It seems so innocent and romantic."

"Is he a good kisser?" Rachel asked, "I mean, he probably doesn't have much practice."

"Rachel," Farah admonished.

"I'm just saying!" The relationship expert defended herself, "Someone who waits a full month before even kissing a girl he's dating clearly hasn't been kissing too many girls before her.

We all laughed.

"He was pretty good." I admitted, "I mean, I don't have a ton of reference points--"

"Yeah, right." Karli rolled her eyes. "You've dated more guys than the rest of us combined."

I blushed slightly.

"Whatever. I mean, he was good. He wasn't amazing, but the kiss itself was pretty spectacular...I don't know if it was the setting or the fact that he made things official right afterwards, but it was a magical kiss."

The seven girls who were awake sighed, while Jess let out a loud snore.

"Jessica!" Emily punched my best friend in the arm, "You're missing it."

Jess sat up slowly, rubbing her eyes.

"If you make me get up before noon, you can't expect me to stay awake for very long."

I rolled my eyes as she laid back down on my bed.

"So when are you seeing him again?" Amy asked softly--she didn't really have any other volume.

"Tonight, I think." I nodded excitedly. "We're going to go mini golfing."

"How fun!" Julia squealed. "I love mini golfing. He better let you win!"

"Let me? I'll win on my own."

Jess finally woke up for real at that comment, for just long enough to have her fun.

"You couldn't beat a drunk squirrel at mini golf, Sam."

<><><>

I sat with my parents at kitchen counter later that afternoon, with two hours to go until Andrew was supposed to pick me up. I wasn't sure exactly when I wanted to introduce him to them, but I knew it wasn't anytime soon.

"So what are you doing tonight, Samantha?" My father asked, breaking the silence that always seemed to penetrate my family at this point.

"We're going to go mini golfing." I replied. My mother swirled her yogurt, silent and frowning. "It should be fun as long as I win."

"That's my girl." My father gave a wry smile. "I'm proud of you, kiddo. Getting back out there all the time. Taking chances. That's what life's all about."