If You Really Loved Me

Your day was set, and your plans were in order. Today has been in the making for over a week. Although he was constantly busy, Rafe would spare you every Sunday night for a dinner with him. Sometimes you'd surprise him with homemade dinner, or he would surprise you with a luxurious night out to the city for fine dining.

Tonight happened to be one of those nights.

You slipped on a silky, white dress that held to the curves of your waist. The first time Rafe surprised you on a dinner date out of town he bought you this dress. Of course he didn't stop there; there were the glassy heels seemingly to come out of a storybook, or the unnecessary soft pearl choker. Rafe never learned that sometimes less was more. Never.

You flipped your hair into a tight ponytail, curling the ends so they would dance around as you walked. You held your silver clutch purse in hand and made your way to your boyfriend, who impatiently stood at the door.

"Y/N, we will be late. No time for slow walking like you're in some movie."

"Or you could just tell me I look beautiful and we can carry on."

"You look dashing, now hurry up," he quickly mumbled out.

"Sarcasm, how fitting of you."

Rafe looked sharp as usual. A dark suit hugged his arms in all the right places, while it tightened near his waist. Below the satin fabric was a white button down shirt, with a bow tie wrapped below the collar. There was not a moment he didn't look dazzling.

He extended his arm to your waist and pushed you through the door beside him. He quickly hustled to the car that was waiting in the wrap around driveway. He opened the dark passenger door for you and then made his way to the opposite side. As you got adjusted in your seat, Rafe stepped on the gas and cruised through his gates and onto the road.

"Rafe, don't you think you're going a bit fast?"

"Y/N," he said in a mocking tone, "don't you remember we have reservations?"

You lowered your voice and darted your eyes through the tinted window, "I hate it when you're like this." He sighed, and you knew what that sigh meant. It was the 'we will get in an argument soon if you keep this up' sigh. It was irritated with annoyance, and reeked of immaturity; a frequent noise in the Rafe household.

You took a deep breath in between your lips, and then closed your eyes. "Stop the car."

"What do you mean stop the car--"

"I said, stop the car."

As you opened your eyes, you watched him pull off the side of the road. You had no clue where you were, but the sun hit the left of the car and tree branches rattled the right. "Y/N we can't miss the reservations, I worked so damn hard to get them, and the sun is about to go down--"

"Rafe if we are going to do this we are going to do this now."

His eyes squinted at you in disgust, "are you serious? Do you not understand what plans are? We have a time and place to be, and I expect us to be there."

"You could expect everything you want, but you know neither of us will be enjoying ourselves. Clearly something is up--"

"Y/N this is ridiculous. We are going."

His hand twisted the key into drive.

"Rafe, you better not go anywhere."

His foot pressed on the peddle.

"Rafe I swear--"

He pulled out of the spot and back onto the road, speeding ten miles above the speed limit. Your bottom row of teeth grinded deeply into your upper set; trying to keep you from saying anything you'd regret. So, you sat quiet. For the entire night.

After an entire dinner with not speaking, you both were long on your way to home.

"You are so stubborn," he stated firmly, as if that was the one thing on his mind the entire night. Undoubtedly it was. "I was trying to make a nice dinner for us," he continued, "and you ruin it because you didn't get your way. Grow up."

Your mouth dropped, "excuse me?"

"I wanted to have a dinner out where we could see the sunset and just enjoy each other, but you make that impossible. Every. Time."

You turned fully facing him, "How could you say I need to grow up when you are so stuck in a fantasy world where 'finding treasure' is a job?!"

"Y/N, have you ever took a moment to think what pays our bills?"

"The last thing you need is more money, Rafe." You sighed tauntingly, "It's sad that the only time you ever spare me your attention is when we are arguing."

He came to a jolting stop. "You know damn well that is not true. I make time for you whenever I can." You shook your head and looked away. "Once a week for what, two hours?"

The car turned silent. No one said a word. He couldn't argue back, and you couldn't believe the things you said. Your cheeks then flushed with a pale glow as you clenched your dry throat. "I don't think I could do this anymore with you."

Silence. The words lingered far too long, but you still couldn't process what you just spat out. Your eyes began to water, but you blinked them back.

"You don't mean that."

"I do."

He choked on air softly, stifling his broken breathing with a shaking hand over his mouth. You couldn't look at him without falling apart, so you didn't. You stared through the window.

"I love you Rafe, but you get so mad over the smallest things and I'm tired of not having a voice."

"You know, if you really loved me, you'd tell me, but we have been together for two years almost and you can't just say those three words can you." The hand that once covered his mouth then traced the bridge of his nose up to his slicked hair. "I've been waiting for so long to hear it, but the first time has to be the last."

"Rafe, I--"

"I'll drive you home. I need to think."