One

Chapter One; New York City.

     The sky was a brilliant blue. Birds chirped outside of her window, she could see them fly by every once in a while. She looked in the long black mirror in her bedroom, today she wore black pants with a yellow knit sweater her grandmother had made her. She twirled her long blondish hair around her fingers before throwing it over her shoulders and out of her face. She grabbed her glasses from her dresser before rushing out the door, slipping her matching yellow converse on, she was out the door in seconds.

Rushing down the hallways of her flat she gave quick nods at her neighbours who peered outside for the post. There was no taxi outside, she had called only a half an hour ago for a ride to work. Sighing, she shook her head running down the street. Making a sharp turn to the left she snuck into an alley way behind her building, she looked around to make sure no one was looking before she pulled out her wand from her pant pocket. If she was late once more for work she knew they'd fire her, they never held back when her old friend Tina did the same thing. Chewing on her lip she checked once more, making sure she was all alone, she closed her eyes and pictured her destination. Nothing happened at first, she grunted. She was never good at Apparation, her twin had been before his first splinch but before he stopped he seemed like a pro to her. Again she closed her eyes and pictured her destination, with nothing else in her mind she felt the ground give beneath her feet and the feeling of being flattened by the earth she disappeared with a loud crack!

People were everywhere, employees ran around the building in complete panic.

'Miss Rowan!' A man yelled rushing towards her, 'Mr Graves needs to see you immediately!'

She sighed following Brian through the crowded lobby towards the elevator, the elf nodded to her and clicked a button just above his head. When the bell rang and the doors opened she jumped out continuing her rush towards Mr Graves office. She knocked on his office door before cautiously entering, the man kind of scared her once in a while.

'Miss Rowan!' He pointed to a chair across from his desk, 'Please, sit.'

She obeyed as she picked at a loose thread on her sweater, she knew she was getting fired.

'As you can see the Ministry has been chaotic since the news about Grindelwald has surfaced, people are worried,' He said. 'And now Tina Goldstein has showed up with some wizard.'

'Tina?' She asked, a small smile threatened to show but she forced herself to stare at the space just above Mr Graves shoulder. 'I-I thought Tina was fired?'

He huffed, 'She was, weeks ago. Yet, she just showed up saying this wizard was harbouring illegal creatures! When we checked there was nothing, that woman is losing her mind.'

She pursed her lips, 'Was there anything you'd like me to do?' She asked, 'Should I speak with Tina? Tell her not to bother the Ministry while we're in such chaos?'

Mr Graves shook his head no, 'No, I think my expression gave her the hint. Anyways, that's not exactly what I wanted to speak with you about.'

She nodded, 'What is it?' She asked, 'Am I getting fired?'

He laughed, actually laughed! Never in a million years would she think her boss would or could possibly laugh!

'No, no, no!' He chuckled, 'You are one of my best Ministry workers!'

She smiled greatly, she wasn't going to lose her job. She stopped playing with the hem of her sweater as she noticed more strings unraveling, soon she wouldn't even have a favourite sweater.

'I need you to follow this wizard Miss Goldstein brought in. Even though he had no evidence on him he did seem a bit suspicious... I think he may be up to something.' He explained, 'His name is Newton Scamander, he's from England, perhaps you know of him?'

The colour drained from her face, she stared at the floor hoping she could just disappear. After a few minutes she heard knocking coming from the wooden desk sat in front of her.

'Miss Rowan?' Mr Graves asked knocking harder, 'Hello?'

Her head shot up and immediately shook her head no, he only gave her a questionable look.

'He went to Hogwarts, just like you. I believe you would've been in the same year as him?'

'I'm sorry but I don't know him, Hogwarts is a big school!' She chuckled, 'I apologize for lacking any knowledge on this subject, usually I'm quite good at the knowledge part of this job.'

He nodded, a frown appeared on his lips. 'I need you to follow him, make sure he doesn't do anything... illegal. Nothing that could compromise our world, we don't want the wizarding community to be burned to the ground.'

She sighed but agreed, 'I'll follow him but I have no idea what he looks like, sir.' She said, which was partly true. She hadn't seen the man since he left school, his physical look would've changed immensely by now.

'Find Goldstein, ask her about the wizard then go from there. Understood?'

She got up from her seat and nodded before heading to the door, she turned back as she swung the door open.

'And if he is caught doing anything illegal, what shall be done then?'

'Bring him back here and I'll deal with him. Perhaps both me and Goldstein are right, you never know.'

She smiled, 'Have a good day, Mr Graves.'

He returned the smile with a sharp nod, 'Remember we deal with criminals in such way because we care about our community, Miss Rowan.' He said, 'In the end it's all for the greater good.'

She shut the door behind her as she collected her badge from her desk and headed for the door. But she had no intentions of finding Tina, she already knew if she spotted the wizard she was searching for she'd recognized him with less then a blink of an eye.