Nine

Chapter Nine; Problems.

Eden fell onto the floor, Newt was towering over her. She looked around, eyes widening when she realized where she was. She was laying on the floor of her living room, Newt apologized as he took out his wand and dashed towards the door.

'Newt!' She yelled staggering to her feet, chasing after him. 'Newton Scamander don't you leave me here!'

'I am truly sorry, Eden.' He apologized again as he slammed the front door shut, she could hear him muttering words before a loud bang echoed through the building and she felt her flat lurched forward then move back into place. Eden raced to the door and turned the nob, it wouldn't budge.

'What did you do?!' Eden yelled trying to get the door open. Nobody replied, Newt was already gone. She pounded the door once more, perhaps a certain number of knocks would do the trick.

She groaned in frustration as she raced to her windows in her bedroom, her plan was to go down the fire escape. The windows wouldn't budge ether, she punched the glass before collapsing onto her bed. She never knew how tired she actually was until she landed on her soft mattress, she could feel her eyes droop and sleep over took her almost instantly.

•••

When she awoke it was getting dark outside, she had slept most of the day. Scratch that, she had slept while her friends where outside somewhere getting into trouble without her. She grunted standing up, if she was stuck inside her flat she was going to clean herself up and change into clothes that had not been sizzled off.

After a quick shower she brushed through her long hair and quickly got dressed, this time she wore a pair of blank pants and her house sweater from when she was at Hogwarts. The top was yellow while the bottom was black, a small Hufflepuffs crest was sewn onto the sweater as well. She cleaned up her glass before stuffing her wand into her pocket and made her way out to her living room. Now that she wasn't sleep deprived and wasn't losing her mind she decided she was going to get out and search for her friends.

Eden banged on her front door repeatedly, she yelled occasionally for help. Minutes passed before she heard the quiet voice of her elderly neighbour.

'Hello?'

'Hello!' Eden yelled, 'Mrs Rogers?'

'Yes?'

'I'm trapped inside my flat, can you help me get out?'

'You just need to turn the door knob and you should be out, dear.' Mrs Rogers said, Eden could hear her door shut behind her.

'It's not working, the door is not even locked.'

Eden could hear Mrs Rogers shuffle across the hall, the knob jiggled and clicked open. Eden laughed with a smile, she quickly hugged her neighbour before slamming the door behind her and running down the hallways. What did Newt do wrong to keep her in her flat? Why was it that easy to get out?

The building shook, dust and some light fixtures fell to the ground around Eden. When she made it outside she watched as a large black mist destroy the top half of her building before disappearing into the night. Bricks rained down onto the pavement, Eden had to duck a few times to avoid being decapitated. Eden ran down the street following what could only be known as an Obscurial.

What was a Obscurial doing in New York City and how was there an Obscurial at all?

People scattered the streets, parents guarding their children trying to take them to safety. Eden forced her way through the crowd, screams echoed through the air as the Obscurial demolished two more buildings before disappearing towards the centre of New York. Children screamed as they all tumbled out of a near orphanage home, Eden's heart broke as they all ran in different directions as if they were to scared to turn around or stop. A little girl, she looked around eight, her hair was blonde and pulled up into pig tails, she had collapsed onto the ground as another child shoved her out of the way. Bricks and debris rained down, home items from the previous buildings added to the chaos.

'Get up!' Eden screamed running towards her, she was crying holding her knee. 'Come on! Move, you've got to move!'

The little girl focused her attention to Eden as she pushed through hundreds of people attempting to flee. Eden pulled out her wand and pointed at the couch and bricks that were flying towards the little girl, it felt as if everything was happening in slow motion.

'Stupefy!' Eden yelled, the little girl stared up at the objects as they froze in mid air. Eden wasted no time picking the girl up, she placed her on her back before running deeper into New York. She could see the Obscurial from where she was, the black mist hovering over the lowest building.

'Where are we going?' The little girl asked, her voice soft but scared.

'I'm taking you to someone who will keep you safe, okay?'

'Where is Creddy?' She asked, Eden could feel the child looking around.

'Who's a teddy?'

'My brother.' She said, 'He was just here!'

'He's already somewhere safe, we will find him after everything goes back to normal. Ok?'

The little girl nodded, Eden sighed with relief as they approached a subway system. Every Ministry worker Eden had ever seen was standing around the entrance, a large hole sunk through the middle. A light blue orb shimmered around the entire space, they were trying to keep people out. Or keep something in.

'Eden!' Someone yelled, she turned to see Leo from the Ministry rush towards her.

'Are you ok?' He asked,

'I'm fine.' She said handing him the child, 'Keep her safe, don't let anyone touch her until I comeback. Okay?'

'W-what are you planning on doing? Where did you pick up this little girl?'

Eden ignored him and charged through the Ministry workers, some tried to hold her back but she ripped through their grip. As soon as she touched the barrier Eden was thrown back, she yelped as she landed on the ground. She grunted standing up looking for another way to get in, she gave up when she decided to see if apparating would work. Eden closed her eyes, grinding her teeth she felt the earth beneath her feet give in and darkness over took her.