4 Hearts Of Palm

Vérité's footfalls in the hallway were soft and precise. Julia was sitting down to a hot tea having spent the night at the house after a soirée that went on too late. No one can overstay a welcome like starving artists, especially when there's catering. Julia had been pressured into posing for one up-and-comer who painted her as a sultry red-head with a literal hourglass figure. The artist then tried to sell the acrylic pin-up to Vérité who said she wouldn't dream of denying a culture deprived public the chance to view one of his greatest pieces when they passed the art market in the parking lot of TireLand on Sundays. Julia sipped her tea in lovely silence with no one asking her what time she was.

Vérité stepped quietly to the fridge and poured herself a glass of water. Sleepily, she yawned, "Can't sleep either, pet?"

"Vérité, it's nine thirty in the morning. I was just about to make breakfast."

"Why up so early? It's Saturday. And you stood with your leg kicked back like that for so long last night."

"It's all right. I had a gorgeous sleep in the guest room."

"And you should get back to it immediately."

"No thanks. I'm off to the grocery store, then I have laundry to do and then I have to call my Aunt Helen."

"But you need your beauty rest for tonight."

"For what tonight?"

Vérité mumbled into her glass of water. "There I go again. Putting a stamp on something only to assume I've mailed it."

"For what tonight?" Julia insisted.

"For your date with Mr. Vaughn."

"Vérité, you're teasing. That's mean."

"He's picking you up here at eight o'clock."

"Well he can be here at eight with an oil can full of daisies but I'll be at my aunt's for dinner."

"Julia, it's shameful of me to have forgotten to tell you but you have to go. Mr. Vaughn needs you."

"Explanation," Julia demanded.

"He called to express his gratitude for my setting up a meeting for him with my brother Donald."

"Did he use grunts or snorts?"

"It went very well! Don wants to work with him but his partner, Brick, is getting the royal treatment from a big ad agency that wants the business. Don wants Mr. Vaughn to join him for drinks at a meeting the agency set up to see if they can't all work together."

"Well sure! He's an amiable sort!"

"It's Orson's former ad agency to be exact, a trial by fire if I know my brother. He doesn't like unknowns and he doesn't like to waste time."

"Agreed," Julia said tucking into her tea.

"So I asked Mr. Vaughn who he'd be taking. A man looking to impress the people in power has to have the ability to hold power himself and there's no better way to do that than to show up with a beautiful woman on your arm. A woman whom men desire and admire - desiring and admiring the man in question - will earn him a certain amount of respect."

"What did he say?"

"This is the kicker! He said, 'Are you asking me out on a date?'"

Vérité alone was amused beyond delight. "Of course I said no. That would make him look like he's being kept. I said, 'Think, Mr. Vaughn. Think of the most beautiful woman you've seen in person as of late, someone alluring to men and infuriating to other women.'"