In the Heights

Alex was running along a meadow at early morning, the sun just rising and it's rays spilling on the over grown grass. The grass poked and stroked his bare legs as he ran across the open field.  Alex paused and noticed he wasn't hearing his friend anymore, Alex paused and turned to see if he was following him. 

"Wait, Alexander. I'm coming." He was saying ahead to Alex. Alexander stood there waiting for the boy to catch up to him.

"I'm waiting slow poke." Alex yelled to the boy.

"Oh shut up, you would wait forever for me." The boy yelled to him. As he reached to Alex's feet were, the boy collapsed on the ground. Alex laughed at the boy. 

"you need to get in shape amigo." Alex told him, but oh did Alex want to be more than that with this boy. He looked up at Alex, he was confused since he has never learned a word in Spanish in his while life time. 

"Wow," Alex laughed, "I've finally met the one American that doesn't know what amigo means."

"So.....What does it mean Alexander?" the boy asked with a curious but worried look on his face.

"You're just dying to know aren't you," Alex teased while trying not to hint that he had more then friendship on his mind with this boy, "you know what if we race each other to the tree and you win I'll teach you a little Spanish." The boys face brightened up.

"REALLY, Can I get a head start," The boy looked at Alex pouting, "Please, I'll do anything." Anything huh? Alex thought to himself. 

"Fine, only ten seconds though."

"WHAT, MY LITTLE LEGS CAN'T OUT MATCH YOUR MOOSE LIKE ONES." the boy yelled.

"Wow my feelings aren't hurt," The two laughed, " Okay lets do this. On your mark, get set, GOOOO!" The boy took off and Alex like the fair person he is counted to ten then eleven, then twelve then- HOLY SHIT I'M GOING TO LOOSE. he thought as he lost track of the situation. He sprinted towards the tree.

This tree has been Alex and the boy's hang out since they found it on a walk when Alex first came to live with the family that was neighbors to this friend of his. This boy was the first person he trusted in a long time. Anyways, this tree was their safe spot away from the world and everything else. But little did Alexader know that nothing would protect them from was about out to come.

///

Alex woke up in Usnavi and Sonny's room to Devil licking his face. 

"Yeah I know Dev, let me get the stuff and we'll go."  Alex grabbed Devil's leash and hooked to puppy to the end of it. They walked out of the apartment to find the garden that Alex saw when he first came here yesterday. After a few minutes of going down sketchy looking alleys and walkways they finally found it. 

"Here you go little girl," Alex said as he took her leash off, "The gardens enclosed so roam as you please," He told his dog and decided to look around while his dog did her business. Devil was sniffing around a flower pot with tulips in it when something caught her eye and little did Alex know the garden wasn't enclosed it only seemed like it was. He looked to see what Devil was doing and saw her slip right through the small gap in between the fence. 

"No Devil come back!" Alex ran after her. She was fast running after a scent. She starting running far from the apartment and farther into the city. Alex recognized some of it from the drive here. After 10 minutes of running after Devil Alex had lost her.

"Devil, come here girl. Dev!" Alex yelled through the barrio. He walked around and looked in between alley ways and apartment houses and stores. He came across a park that had dogs and people. Alex walked into the park calling Devils name.