Going Home (Descriptive)

Original Question: Imagine you have been away from home for a long time. Describe what you see and your thoughts and feelings during your journey home.

The incessant rhythm created as the train galloped on the tracks reverberated in my cabin. It already felt like home. The raw, bitter smell of the luxuriant weeds and trees penetrated the rusty, dusty interior of the local train. I shifted harshly in my seat, the blue-dyed leather squeaking and straining, causing annoyance to the unfamiliar travelers that filled the remaining three of the 3-seaters. As the train zoomed past the landscape, I caught fleeting glimpses of tiny homes, poorly constructed, with walls made of cemented red bricks and a cornucopia of trees mainly banana and coconut surrounding the homes.

In the distance, a small farm was prominent with its patterned growth of rice crops as they floated on waterlogged soils with trenches separating them from cabbages. A farmer was glistening with sweat in the afternoon sun, his skin darkened and body hardened over years of labour. He swung a hoe deep into the crusty soil as he ploughed the land, making way for the year's crops. Three children ran naked with a wide grin decorating their faces as they plunged into a lake, cooling themselves in the placid emerald waters.

The city began to show up. Starting with the nostalgic tunes of the morning bhajans as a temple came into view. A medieval structure that astonishes the architects of this era. Decorated in bronze coating and mud-brown bricks that overlap the roofs, with the idol of a deity mounted at the top. A colorful representation of the god that is claimed to shower down its blessings on the innumerable devotees with hearts full of faith. It was still an hour before I got to my station. The chilling breeze cooled my face and the soporific wind allured me to sleep. I climbed up the cabinß, my head carefully avoiding the fans and my feet the bodies of my fellow passengers.

I lay down at the top, my feet slightly sticking out, and my hair brushing against the metal. Head full of thoughts. Thoughts of all the people that would be waiting for me back home. Eyes waiting to get teary upon my sight and the feast that would have been prepared in my honour. I couldn't wait to reach and all these thoughts carried me deep into my sleep. Still as the incessant rhythm persisted.