Chapter 1

Chapter 1

Corrine Thomas slipped in her ear buds and turned up the music. She cursed under her breath as she was forced off the green line at Kenmore. She'd missed the last train back to Allston. Stupid MBTA. Stupid no trains after 2 am. Stupid Boston. What kind of city cuts train service to a whole section of the city on weekends?

The heat of the day had subsided and Corrine was ready for her 42 minute walk. She pulled a water bottle out of her bag and took a sip. She fell into her thoughts and her music. She didn't want to think about life or work. Corrine lived alone and for good reason. She trusted no one. Not after the abuse she'd been through.

Her mother had been a violent alcoholic. Her father divorced her mother because of it and he vanished. She hadn't seen him in 15 years. Occasionally, she received a letter from him warning her to be careful. He seemed concerned. But how could she forgive a man who abandoned her? So, Corrine was stuck with her mother, up until the incident. She was sent into a foster home at 16. After that she was fortunate enough to get a scholarship to college at North Eastern University.

Once she graduated she stayed in the greater Boston area. But it was hard. She had no support system. Her short lived Foster Parents wanted nothing to do with her once she went to college. Honestly, she didn't blame them. She was the problem, not them.

So 24 year old Corrine worked her decent paying tech job by day and her low paying customer service job by night just to save up. Corrine was always putting away money. She had no choice. She loved Boston, but she knew that there was always a very real possibility she'd need to leave in a moment's notice. A few weeks ago she'd gotten a letter from her father saying as much. Somehow, he always knew where to find her.

Corrine could easily save even more if she wasn't so proud as to live alone. But she couldn't. Corrine self consciously pulled on the sleeves of her shirt. Corrine paused for a passing car. She pushed her glasses farther up the bridge of her nose. A chill ran up Corrine's spine. She was ready to run when a massive hand covered her mouth. Before she could even let out a scream everything went black.

______________________________________________

Corrine awoke in a dimly lit room. She was chained to a wall with her hands behind her back and she wasn't alone. Surprisingly her glasses were still on her face. There were 19 other girls in chained up in the room and they were all unconscious.

Corrine noticed a silvery grey box on the shoulder of the girls on either side of her. She couldn't tell what it was but as she moved her arm she felt one attached to her as well. What was this thing?

Corrine eyed the door and the other girls. There was no sign of them waking soon. She sat there quiet and alone for far too long for her comfort. Finally after what had to have been at least an hour or two another girl awoke.

The next girl to wake up looked around for a bit and started screaming. Corrine tried to talk to the girl. "Hey. Calm down. Screaming won't help. Staying calm will help keep up your strength." But the girl was screaming and crying too hard to notice.

Over the next hour or so every single girl in the room awoke. They all screamed and cried. Whenever Corrine tried to get their attention they didn't seem to notice.

Were they being held for some sort of sex trade? Maybe these girls didn't speak English. Finally the door opened. Twenty men entered the room each unchaining a girl from the wall, carefully keeping their hands bound behind their backs, and attaching a collar and leash around each girl's necks.

"Can you please tell me what's going on?" asked Corrine. "Where are we?"

The man ignored her and pushed her forward. She was the last one to exit the room. Corrine looked around the hallways. Where on earth were they?