Near death experiences, and the birds and the bees.

As the man approached Tom with a chainsaw in his hands, he knew that he would not have long left to live.
He wanted to do so many new things before he died. Travel the world, go skiing, the list was endless. But now his life was coming to a bitter end, and he couldn't stop it.
The man looked at Anna for a long time, then approached Tom.

This was it, his moment of death.

"How do you do? I'm Paul, Anna's dad."
He looked at his chainsaw. "Sorry about that, I was putting tools away."
Tom breathed a sigh of relief as the chainsaw was put far away from him.

As they entered the house, Paul became more and more flustered as he attempted to lecture her. "Your mother has been worried sick. You shouldn't have run out on us like that!"
But then he stopped before the living room and grabbed her in a big bear hug. Tom stood there feeling like an intruder as her dad whispered "I'm just glad you're safe."

With no response from either of them, Tom excused himself to go to the nearest bathroom.
As he entered the room, he locked the door and started to breathe deeply as he tried to control his rapid heartbeat. He missed that type of concern from his parents, and he knew Anna should have some alone time with them before he distracted them.
But it didn't stop his heart from aching.

After a while, when he felt he and the situation were okay, he came out of the bathroom only to bump into a little girl.
"Ahh!" Tom jumped.
"Wahh! My bathroom!!!" Beth crossed her arms planning to jump straight to stage two of her tantrum.
"You're not mummy!' She screamed.

Tom was legitimately scared for his life for the second time in 10 minutes.

Thankfully he could hear someone's frantic steps up the stairs.
"Beth it's okay, he's my friend!" Anna gestured wildly.
Beth crossed her arms, suspicion of this stranger written all over her face.
This was his time to explain. He knelt down and gave an Oscar worthy performance as a humble servant. "My name is Tom, and you must be Princess Beth right?"
Beth giggled wildly, she loved being a princess!

Anna smiled as she watched Beth and Tom ooh and ahh over a world where ponies were a right for everyone and ice cream was served at breakfast. She never knew he was so good with kids, and he stopped a stage two tantrum! That gave him major respect in her books.
And butterflies in her stomach, she realised to her dismay.

Just because a man and a kid are playing around does not mean it is your time to start flipping out on me! Adverts do this all the time. Anna inwardly ranted at her beating heart. Now are you going to behave or not?

"SISSY!!!" Beth grabbed her arm. Anna snapped out of her imaginary rant, feeling a little sheepish.
"Come play with us!" Beth begged Anna.
But Anna could sense her parent's presence. She needed to own up to her mistakes.
"Not now Beth, I need to see mum and dad." Anna smiled at her as she stroked her hair.
Beth squirmed at her touch. "But I want you to play."
Anna raised her eyebrows. "Well I'm happy to get them up here instead. Unless you're supposed to be in bed?"
Beth narrowed her eyes. She knew when she had been beaten.
"Goodnight Beth." Tom said. Anna simply smiled as she watched Beth's retreating figure.
"You're a mean lady." Tom mockingly tutted. Anna rolled her eyes. "Oh please! You've never seen her destroy tables because she didn't want to eat her vegetables." She retorted.
His eyes widened. What type of super kid was Beth?
Anna chuckled. "You haven't even seen the worst yet."
Then she walked downstairs. Leaving him there alone.

Did he even want to see what horrors lay downstairs?
Well if he was downstairs he would be closer to the door just in case, he reasoned to himself. But with his heartbeat increasing at the thought, he reluctantly made his way down the stairs.
He could have never prepared himself for what he saw.