Chapter 17

A/N: This is my formal apology for the ending of the last chapter.

I'm so sorry for this...

~

There were roses clutched in Phil's hands, black ones. Phil had spent all day looking for a bouquet of black roses, the final piece of his surprise for Dan. Phil had spent all day planning the perfect evening for his boyfriend. 

Phil was going to ask Dan to meet his family, they have been dating for around 4 months, they moved in together, and they were starting a branch of their careers together. Phil took his relationships very seriously and only continued in a relationship if he thought they would last. Since he was a teenager, he has never introduced a boyfriend or girlfriend to his family, no one has been serious enough. 

Phil's family isn't exactly religious, but they take marriage and relationships very seriously. Martyn and Cornelia have been married for a few years now, and have been dating even longer. Martyn hadn't brought Cornelia around for the entire first year of their relationship, not until he knew they were endgame. 

Phil knew. He didn't know exactly what made him know, especially this early, but he knew that Dan was his one and only. Dan was the person Phil would marry, become a parent with, and grow old with. Dan was his perfect match, and Phil really hoped that Dan agreed.

Phil had a plan. He was going to show up at the flat, roses in hand, walk over to his tall boyfriend and give him a kiss. He was going to take Dan to Clos Maggiore, they were going to have a fancy Italian meal, drink a high priced bottle of wine, and Phil was going to invite Dan to his families house in Manchester for the weekend. 

He was going to look into Dan's beautiful brown eyes and tell him how much he means to him. Tell him how much he loves him, and how he wants to spend the rest of his life by his side, as long as Dan will have him. He isn't going to propose, not yet. But he wants Dan to know that Phil wants them to have a future. 

Phil had reservations made, and the restaurant has been informed of the twos status on the internet. Phil was wearing his best button up shirt, white with birds on it, and black skinny jeans, some things don't ever change. He picked up the roses, which were extremely hard to find, since most people only want black flowers for funerals, and headed back to the flat.

Their reservation was in an hour, so he had enough time to go home, tell Dan to change into something fancy, and for them to get into the car, that Phil has already booked, and leave. Phil was practically giddy. He was nervous for Dan's reaction to his declaration for the night, but he was also extremely excited. They haven't gone on a formal fancy dinner yet, and this would be their first one. 

Phil exited the car, paid his driver and made sure to leave a generous tip. A different driver would be sitting in this spot in an hour, waiting to take him and Dan to their romantic dinner. Phil couldn't help but imagine this dinner as the first step toward his happily ever after. 

Sure, he and Dan were already together, living with each other, and working together, but there was something different about this dinner. After this dinner, Phil would know if Dan wanted the same thing as he did, a future together. Phil would know if Dan wanted to stay with him for the rest of his life, will know if Dan wants to get married to him someday, will know if Dan wants to adopt children someday, he will have all these answers after this dinner. Dan may not know the answers right now, and Phil is prepared for him to need more time, but best case scenario, Dan will want all the same things. 

Phil climbed the 47 steps into their flat, he unlocks and opens the door. He is greeted by a large house plant and an eerie silence. "Dan! I'm home!" Silence was the only response. He climbed up the first flight of stairs and sees and empty kitchen and a closed bathroom door. The light on the other side of the closed door was flipped off.