You're the Apple of My Eye

"Draco, why did you leave us," Goyle simpered.

"Where were the good times," Crabbe shook his head, "when we made fun of the Hermyown?"

"I," Draco whinned, "found someone new."

"Which boy?" Goyle said.

"Not a boy," Draco shook his head.

"A girl?" Crabbe questioned.

"Not a girl," Draco fidgeted with something behind his back.

"Show," Crabbe grunted, trying to keep tears out of his small eyes. Draco picked the sad, greener than Potter's eyes apple from the table. He stared at the apple more lovingly than he had ever stared at his former lovers- now just his cronies.

"An apple?" Goyle scoffed. "Really?"

"Yes, an apple!" Draco snapped. He pressed it to his face. "I love it more than I could ever love you." Draco left the scene, his apple clutched desperately in his hand. "It's going to be okay," he muttered to the apple. "We have each other." Draco left to his bed, his hand still clutching the apple. Sleep overcame him, and Draco slept like he never had before.

***

Rumors had spread like the wildfire in Draco's heart when he looked at Apple. People teased him and the once proud, bodacious King of Slytherin was reduced to a friendless, obsessive boy in love with an apple. He used to tease people, now they teased him.

But Draco didn't care. He didn't care about anything but his precious, darling Apple. He treasured it, cared for it, made sure it never bruised or dropped. He saw people, almost tainting him by sinking their teeth into his Apple's family. It hurt him inside, like a knife was turning in his guts. But nevertheless, he carried on with his Apple.

They were often found in the library, where Draco would whisper sweet nothings to the Apple and imagine that it whispered back. It occasionally saddened him to know that his Apple would never be conscious, would never reply to his words of love.

Draco and the Apple never went anywhere without each other. Well, mostly Draco never went without his Apple. They were seen in the Great Hall together, in classes together, in the bathroom together. Professor Snape was worried that Draco had developed an obsession, but then he stared at the apple, noticing how it's green was the exact same shade as Lily's eyes. And so Professor Snape was lost for a day and said nothing about the apple.

Draco had thought ahead to the future. Apples had much shorter lifespans than humans. But Draco was a wizard- death was not an obstacle to love. Didn't Albus Dumbledore himself say that love was much more powerful than death? It mattered not what Dumbledore thought, however, Draco needed to keep his Apple safe, in his arms. He placed a freshness spell upon it, and a spell so that it would not rot. It could, however, still be pierced and bruised. Even gods such as Draco Malfoy knew not to toy with death too much. Love may live on past the grave, but bodies did not.