Prologue: Summer

??? POV

I don't know when I received this power...

All I know, is that it is mine.

It had just appeared. Suddenly, and without warning. It felt as if a fire had lit within me, and burned brightly no matter what I did to extinguish it. I had somewhat learned about Aura and Semblances, but had not awakened to my own yet. I was still so young... So naïve...

But now I know better.

When I reached out to access my newfound power, I was reminded of all that was bright and sunny. The season of summer burned brightly in my mind, and I felt as if I could wield its destructive power. But with that feeling of power, came the sudden realization that someone had died. To this day, I don't know how I knew, but I was suddenly made aware that my dearly beloved mother had passed.

The burial came soon after. And with my mother's flame of life being snuffed out, so too was mine.

Oh, I wasn't dead. Not by a long shot. But my soul, you could say, was. I stopped caring.

I felt as if I had nothing to live for. I spent the next few months mourning for the only person I had ever truly loved.

I shut myself off from my aunt and cousins, the family that had taken me in when I was alone.

When I had finally resolved to become as strong as I could, I was reminded of my power. And to this day, I don't know how, but I suddenly knew that my mother had been murdered. I made a promise to myself, to my mother that I would find her killer.

And that I would make them pay.

It was then that I decided to go to Signal Academy. I would train and become a strong fighter, and then I would avenge my mom.

The minute I decided this, my Aunt abandoned me. I was no longer welcome in her house, but I proceeded to Signal without a second thought.

Eventually, I had unlocked my aura, and with it, I was able to access my semblance.

I can turn invisible and become intangible. When I activate my semblance, its like I become a ghost, completely unseen by the world... I was okay with going unseen. I was okay going through school without anyone knowing who I am. I was okay with being forgotten by the few family members I had left. I wanted to avenge my mother, and then I wanted to leave this world.

Though most people ignored me during my time in signal, one girl did talk to me. A girl dressed in red and black, named Ruby. It was a brief conversation, and then I never saw her again. I heard that she had graduated two years early.

Good for her...

After another month or so, I had finished my training in signal. I was a fast learner, and I had also graduated two years early.

I had learned to control my semblance, and had gained a fraction of control over that power that I had known for as long as I can remember. Other than that, nothing really noteworthy happened at Signal. But now, I can finally avenge my mother.

Now that I think about it, there was one day in Signal that stood out from all the others...
Oh yes. I was reading in the library when I came upon a book of fairy tales.

The most interesting one was a story about four maidens that had helped an old man. In return, he granted them extraordinary powers. They were henceforth known as the Seasonal Maidens.

Why does that sound so familiar?

I had found a second story. A really old one called 'The Silver Eyed Warriors'. It was interesting to read.

Natural born fighters of the Grimm roamed across Remnant centuries ago. These Silver-Eyed huntsman and huntresses were the only thing the Grimm feared. A single look could petrify even the mightiest of Grimm, and wipe out waves of the weaker ones.

Heh, wouldn't it be something if that legend was true.

Anyway, now we're back to the present. I had found the name of my mother's murderer (Don't ask how. I have my ways).

A woman named Cinder Fall. She had gone to Beacon for the Vytal tournament, so going there's my best bet for finding her.

Right now, I am packing up to go to Beacon and find out what I can there. And I don't care if I have to force my way in there with my power. I don't care if I have to kill every student in that school.

I will find Cinder. I will avenge my mother. Cinder Fall will rue the days she messed with my family. Of that, I can be certain.