Ch 11 - Without Him Knowing

I was going in and out of sleep, hunger and throwing up. It was a really long flight and I hated every second of it. My only saving grace was the man who was with me the entire way, making sure that when I wasn't throwing up, I was at least comfortable.

"As soon as I've dealt with this crisis, we're going to see a doctor. This can't be normal," he said, rubbing my back as I cuddled into him.

I love the fact that even at my worst, he thinks I'm beautiful- and it doesn't get worse than being as sweaty as I was and throwing up to top things off.

"It's normal Laz," I replied lowly.

"No, it isn't. I've heard a lot about pregnancy before, and this, what you're going through, is a tad bit extreme," he countered.

"Maybe it's the flying also?" I offered.

"Maybe, but we're still getting you checked out," he said sternly.

Something tells me that arguing with him is futile.

"So, you never told me what the crisis was exactly," I reminded. If anything, he seems to dodge my question.

"An important and very private document was leaked to the press and now my position as CEO is threatened," he finally informed.

Except I knew he was still hiding something from me.

"So are you going back to do damage control?" I asked.

He nodded. "Nate's holding down the fort in the meantime, but he can only do so much."

"Nate is your best friend, right?" I questioned.

"That's right, and he's also my lawyer and Deputy CEO. Lana is my female best friend, and then there's Ingrid too. Recently, I've realized that I don't know where I stand with Emile," he said.

"How come?" I asked.

He sighed. "When my parents and grandmother died, I refused to accept it for the longest time. Eventually, I started acting out, and my grandfather tried to bear with me, until he couldn't anymore. I was out of control, and Emile was also going through stuff at home, so the two of us got hooked onto the wrong things and got involved with the wrong people. While I was able to prove myself to my grandfather on the business front, Emile's father has never felt that he's ready to take over the family business. Anyway, we very quickly caught the attention of the press for all the wrong reasons, and it stayed that way for years. I was able to go with that lifestyle simply because I was angry, lost and didn't know any better."

"And now?" I whispered.

"Now I know that I can do and be better. I know that there's more to life than just partying and getting drunk and high. I got too good at hiding not only my emotions, but my bad state as well. There was even a time when people thought I had a twin from good I was at hiding my social life from my professional one. Anyway, a year ago, we were out clubbing with Nate and Nate's wife Ginny, when there was a shooting. Ginny died that night and Nate disappeared for the entire year after. I continued with my downward spiral, until that night I was poisoned. That night, together with my grandfather's passing, meeting you and Nate coming back a changed person, I guess I've started to truly re-evaluate what I want to do with my life," he replied.

"Look who's growing up," I said with a smile.

He returned the smile. "It feels good to want to be better. Ever since coming back from Paris, I've had a totally new image. I haven't gone clubbing, I cleared the house of all alcohol, I haven't smoked or taken any drug, and I haven't caused unnecessary scenes in public. I've just stuck to a healthy diet, an exercise plan, and trying to do more for the company. Nate has been a great influence in this new phase because it's the lifestyle change that he also went through. Ingrid hasn't scolded me once about my image, and Lana hasn't tried to kill me. Aside from Sophia being a pest and Emile being pissed off at me for this change, I must admit that it's felt good. There's also this gorgeous woman who told me that I needed to open myself up to good things and good people. I'd like to think that I'm on the right track."