Ch 18 - Freaking Check

If I wasn't more interested in what she had to say, I would've laughed at the look on her face.

"Diaz?" she asked, obviously laughing guiltily.

I crossed my arms, raising an eyebrow at her. "Love of my life, are you standing here trying to pretend that you have no idea what I'm talking about?"

"How did you even find out? Nate said you wouldn't find out for at least a month or so," she argued.

"So, you actually planned this?" I asked sceptically.

"You know, you mentioned something about me catching a cold," she tried to divert.

"London," I said in warning.

She glared at me. "Would you put away the first name and just get me home so that I can change out of these clothes and we can talk properly? It's not like I'm the only one with some explaining to do."

"Fine," I said, letting it go.

We headed to the car and I helped her in before we got on our way. I stopped by a donut place first to get donuts and hot chocolate. There was ice-cream back at the house. I smiled at the happiness I could see on her face, even if she was trying to stay mad.

We got to the house and headed straight to our room. We both changed into more comfortable clothing before getting onto the bed. Because I know her like the back of my hand by now, I handed her the donut first. She did a small happy dance, making me laugh, simultaneously breaking the tension.

"It's your fault you know?" she said when she was halfway with the donut.

"It is?" I asked, confused.

How does this possibly turn back on me?

She nodded. "If you had trusted me enough to talk to me rather than make irrational decisions, then I wouldn't have felt compelled to beat you at your stupidity."

I didn't expect the booming laughter that left me. This woman makes it borderline impossible to stay mad at her. I mean, here I was about to interrogate her, and yet she managed to not only get out of me being mad at her, but she managed to turn it on me too.

"How did you even find out?" she asked, smiling.

"Nate should've communicated with Francois if you guys hoped to keep it a secret since Francois was ready with everything. He was just waiting for the word, and as soon as the marriage license and certificate reached him, he processed everything. It didn't take that long for me to find out that I was suddenly twenty times richer than I was yesterday," I explained.

I was stunned when I received the text in the afternoon. She was downstairs with Fifi and Connie when I woke up, so I used the opportunity to call Francois and find out how my inheritance was processed. He was just as confused as I was since he'd received a marriage license and certificate with both mine and London's signatures on it from Nate.

And that's when I knew who I had to grill.

My best friend sang like a canary, pointing out that it was his idea, but that he only came up with it because my baby mama told him to make a plan to get us married without me finding out. He informed me that he told Francois not to donate my inheritance as I'd demanded, and instead give him time to change my mind.

He went on to explain just how he tricked me, and honestly, I was impressed.

It was in that moment that I truly realized that there was no going back for me. London is undoubtedly the love of my life. I will never love any other woman the way I love her. The lengths she went to amazed me beyond, and if ever I had any doubt about anything, finding out what she did diminished them all.