The Contract - 12

Song of the chapter: Thats What I Like by Bruno Mars

...

"I said, I want to keep-"

"I heard what you said, dammit!" Tobi roared, slamming his fists on the table making her to jump in surprise. The plates jumped too, food spilling on the table, but that was the least of their problems.

"No. You can't. That's breach of contract." He said, leaning on his chair, trying to be calm.

"The contract says that I'm giving Tobi Ademi a baby, not babies. So you're only entitled to one baby." She pointed out and he glared at her, glared at her for being so right.

"It's about the money shay. Fine. I'll give you another twenty million naira for the other baby."

"It's not about the money." She snapped.

"Then what is it then? Why do you suddenly want to take the child? You and I know that you can't take care of a child, you can barely take care of yourself. Taking care of a child requires a lot of money Abena. You have medial bills, school fees, house rent, and all of that stuff. You think I don't know, all the money I pay to you, you don't have a dime left."

Her breath hitched.

"I don't care where your money is going, but my child isn't going with it. You can't separate my children, especially when you don't have any money to take care of them." He finished, looking her straight in the eyes, her teary eyes.

"But I'm their mother too." She said quietly.

"No!" He stood up angrily, and pointed a finger at her accusingly. "You are not their mother. You're the carrier, an incubator. This is what you were paid to do."

She flinched at his words.

"Don't get your role twisted. And mark my words, I would take both my children." He said, storming out of the room.

He then walked back in, took his plate of food, added another piece of chicken to his plate, and stormed out, muttering some things incoherently. Although he was extremely angry, a part of him was filled with regret.

He wished he could take back the words he said. But he couldn't.

...

The next morning, Abena stood by the blender, making herself a smoothie. She had turned it off, then Tobi walked in, and opened the fridge. He took out a bottle of water and began to gulp it down when his phone started to ring.

He answered the call. "Hello?"

Abena then turned on the blender, really loud, then he started to shout over the phone. After his call, she turned it off and gave him an innocent smile.

"What the hell was that?" He asked.

"What?"

"If you think immaturity is going to get you to win, you must be mistaken. You have forgotten that I'm Tobi Ademi. I get what I want, no matter the cost."  He warned and stepped out of the house.

...

"What do you mean by she's right?"

"I've checked the whole contract Tobi. Twice! There's not one part that says 'babies', everything says 'baby'." Joseph explained.

Tobi had gone to his house since he couldn't go to his office, and explained the problem to him.

"For the love of God, you're my lawyer. You didn't even think of that?" Tobi snapped.

"Well how was I supposed to know that the girl was that fertile?" Joseph shot back.

"I don't know! At least it was a possibility. You should've thought about it." Tobi shouted.