Chapter 3: New York, New World

"We're here." She woke up to the sound of Lucy's soft voice. Yawning, she looked around. Lucy must have carried her off the train, for she was standing on a train station platform, Lucy's hand supporting her back. Yawning again, she walked with Lucy, now holding her hand, to a carriage. She zoned out what Lucy was saying to the man driving it to take in her surroundings. All she saw was a lot of buildings and smoke. Fully awake now, she shivered, it was pretty cold, it must have been winter.
Noticing the little girl shiver, Lucille wrapped her shawl around the both of them as they sat in the carriage going across the bridge. Lucille watched as the little girl looked out over the side at the river. She couldn't help but laugh at the child's amazement. She remembered when she had been small, and interested in such things. It was only half an hour before they reached the hospital, where Lucille's husband worked. Paying the taxi man, she helped the little girl out, and they made their way inside.
She had never seen such a grand building. At least, not that she could remember. Not only did she get to ride on a train, but she got to see a river, and visit this grand building. She was sure she was dreaming. "My husband works here, we're gonna see if he can check you out, make sure you're not sick, okay?" She nodded, still in her amused daze. But three hours and two doctors later, she was leaving. The doctors had, somewhat, confirmed that she was around seven, that she was not sick, and that she could go. She knew she would have to leave Lucy. As much as she didn't want to, she didn't want to be anymore of a burden. Lucy didn't want to say goodbye, either, but knew that she must. And that is when her new life began.