Epilogue

1919, World War 1. Nessa was left to tend to the farm, all alone. The war had been over for months, but she was still desperately waiting for a letter, from anyone, praying every day that her husband and son would be alright. She and Tony had adopted a 3 year old the year after they married, and with the draft, both were to be in the army. But she could not sit around and do nothing, so she did all she could to help the war effort. She worked the farm, planting and harvesting crops, feeding and taking care of the animals, whatever she needed to do. She would even send little packages she made to the soldiers. They had cigarettes, warm socks she had made for their feet that must have been cold in the trenches, and even non-perishable food items. Whatever she could do to help, she did.
It wasn't until a year after the war was over did she get any word. It was a strangely warm November day, and she was sitting on the front porch of the farmhouse, when she saw a car approaching. She stood up as fast as she could, and anxiously waited. It seemed as if it had been an eternity before the car stopped, and three men hopped out. She hobbled over to them, tears in her eyes. "Tony!" She hugged him, and kissed his lips. But she noticed, none of the three men were her son. As long as it had been, she recognized Sean and Nick. They had been Spot and Mush, but had grown out of such childhood antics. "Sean, Nick, it's been too long." They both smiled. "Indeed it has, Nessa," Nick said as he hugged her. Sean hugged her as well, and she asked them all to come inside. Tony kissed her cheek, and they all sat around a table in the kitchen. "Where's Henry?" She dreaded the answer, and Tony hugged her again and kissed her cheek. "I'm so sorry, I didn't even know until much later, I wish I could have done something." Nessa broke down, Tony holding her. Sean and Nick understood. If it had been their children, they would have been crying, too. She looked up after a minute. "It's been a great reunion, but we should let you two get back to your families, your wives will be missing you after all these months." She didn't want to say goodbye, but she didn't have much of a choice. They all said their goodbyes, and Sean and Nick headed off back to New York.
Nessa cried even more that night. Tony held her the whole time. It wasn't until then, she noticed he, as well, lost his left ear. Then she thought she should write to her friends after so long. But she could only think of a few. She had lost track of Boots, Chuckles, Dutchy, and Itey, Skittery had committed suicide three years after her wedding, Blink died of illness six years before, and Specs had died in an accident five years before. That left her with Crutchy, Jack, Les, and David. Of course she could write to the other newsies, but she wasn't sure how many she actually remembered. But she might be able to get back in touch with them through the others. She knew writing to Crutchy would be the hardest. He had been her best friend when she went from Brooklyn to Manhattan, and he had always been very sweet to her. She was going to have to write to him last. She waited until morning to do her letters, as it was very late, and she and Tony both needed their sleep. But even before, they sat together on the front porch, smoking cigars, and laughing. She hoped one day she would be able to bring back the light from his eyes, that had all but disappeared during the war. He had done the same for her, all those years before in New York, but she never knew how. They embraced each other, and she nestled into his arms, as they had always done. Even with the terrors that must have been plaguing his mind, he rocked her back and forth, soothing words flowing from his mouth into her ear. "Well, now we have something else in common," she joked, and she nearly saw the light return. He kissed her nose, hoping she could help him become the man he had once been. They stayed that way, together on the white rocking chair, on the brown porch until the black and yellow sky told them they had to re-enter the white house, to sleep on the brown bed.
Nessa was awoken in the night by Tony. He had a bad dream. She hugged him, and assured him, he would be alright. She held him, and rocked him back and forth as he had done for her. She cooed soft words into his ear, and kissed his head. She rubbed his back, and let him cry into her shoulder. They stayed holding each other for the rest of the night, knowing they would not get very much sleep. This happened many times. He had trouble with a lot of things, fearing he would have to go back. And the flashbacks were the worst part. He knew what it had felt like to be Nessa all those years before, and wished he could be stronger, for she had lost her child, and she would cry everyday, mourning for him. He wished he could do anything for her, but once he started, the pictures came back. They would often cry together, holding each other tightly, and they both tried to be strong for the other, but maybe they didn't need to at all. Maybe they just needed to be there, and never be apart again. Tony knew he would never leave her side, and hoped she felt the same.
Nessa didn't write the letters the next day. She didn't write them the day after, either. It took her two weeks to sit down at a desk, and write to the people she needed to. She started with Jack and Sarah, then moving on to David and his wife, then moving on to Les. But it took her another day to finally write to Crutchy. It was the hardest for her. She had no clue where to start. But she did.
"Dear Timothy, Crutchy,
"It has been too long, but you don't know my whole story. So I thought I'd write it down.
"I was running. From Him."

AN: None of the drawings or pictures that have been put in these chapters belong to me.