Chapter 2

I knocked on the worn out door, holding my phone's flashlight up to aid my sight in the dimly lighted area. I waited nervously. My phone beeped as a text shot through, Dennis's name flashed on the screen. I was about to tap on the message to read it when the door was pulled open. Thin, yet strong, arms grasped me pulling me inside of the home, embracing my body.

"I was wondering when you would finally show up!" She exclaimed. "Leora, it's always a pleasure to see you," I responded, laughing as she still hadn't released me from the hug. She finally let me go, and I took a closer look at her face.

"This business is draining you, Leora," I tried to say kindly. She pulled her lips into a tight line, giving out a forced chuckle, "You remind me of my mother," she responded. I took that as a signal to stop my intrusive tendencies, letting the matter rest. "So, you are here because you want to find out what is happening with your visions, correct?" And just like that, Leora was back to her upbeat self.

I nodded, not even trying to hide the shock displayed on my face at her accuracy. "Well," she started, "I am going to do something I have never done before. It is going to take some effort, but I've done as much searching through the waves as I can, and even that is barely anything. I need to see beyond the surface, do you understand what I'm saying to you?" I processed her words, trying to decipher what kind of procedure she was about to attempt. Suddenly, she began jetting around her cabinets, pulling things from different cupboards and drawers, laying them out on a table. The table was worn out, faded, and looked as if it would crash any minute. On it, sat a large heavy-looking pot, that was producing smoke, although there was no source of a flame anywhere near the pot. I peered over the rim of the pot, and sparks fizzled out, forcing me backward.

Leora pulled a book out of a cabinet and dramatically threw it down on the table. Dust flew off of the book that appeared as if it was from the 1400s. "This book has been passed down in my family line for thousands of years. There is an ancient Seer bloodline, blood as pure as a Virgin's first kiss. As cocky as this may come off, I am a straight descendant of that bloodline. Which means my blood is as pure, and untainted as they come, but also strong enough to complete what we are about to do." She spoke with confidence, unlike the anxiety that I held, which made my fingertips tremble in fear.

"Is this safe? Are you in danger by performing this?" I questioned her. She seemed to think before speaking again, "I think you need not worry about me, my blood will protect me," and again the confidence rang through, although I could have sworn I heard a slight tremor in her voice.

I scoffed, about to reply when the room suddenly began to feel colder. I shivered, rubbing my arms to create warmth on my body. As I breathed out I was shocked to see a puff of air in front of my face, the temperature had to be in the negatives by now. Focusing on Leora, I studied her face noticing the way she was in a pure state of utter blankness. It was as if someone had just stripped any and all emotions, physical and mental toll, and all the stress from her life. She looked at peace, but somehow, I felt as though she was far from it.

Abruptly, the table began to shake, knocking over the jars and clutter sat on it, yet it wasn't just the table. As I began to become more aware of my surroundings, the floor was shaking as well, agitating the shelves and dressers in the room. Leora's eyes opened, but they were completely white. Her eyes held no pupil, and it seemed as if she was distressed for the moment. I began to call her name, the anxiety of the situation spreading. I grabbed on to her head, trying to focus her attention on me. Within a minute, everything stopped, as quickly as it all came. I looked around the cabin, trying to find anything to help pull her out of the trance when I noticed what was happening around us. All around the room were translucent figures, holding hands, their eyes were pure white. They were chanting, following along with whatever incantation Leora had started.