1:16am ❈ mileven ⇽

mileven
   mike wheeler's pov
   After Hopper rescued El from the upside down a couple weeks ago, El has been growing positively. She has gained weight and got a little taller- her hair loose and longer.
   As a bonding moment, we rebuilt the fort in my basement, expanding it a little. She had asked me why, and I had told her so she could stretch out. It was really so I could come in if I wanted.
   It was a cool winter night, you could hear the raindrops outside and the occasional thunder booms and lightning bolts.
   9:47P.M.
   I decided to go to bed, after brushing my teeth and putting some clothes away. I got into pajamas and snuggled under my covers with another blanket on top.
   10:21P.M.
   I was uncomfortable, tossing and turning frequently. So much was on my mind I couldn't sleep without a trail of thought or overthinking one.
   10:34P.M.
   It wasn't even an hour later when I decided I couldn't sleep here. Everyone was sleeping lightly, so I crept to the kitchen with my current book in hand, Christine by Stephen King. I set the book on the kitchen table and quietly got one cookie and a cold glass of milk.
   1:14A.M.
   I awoke, startled. I blinked rapidly and rubbed my eyes to focus on my surroundings. I ran a hand across my cheek and felt a mark, where I figured I fell asleep resting my head against the table. I was putting my dish in the sink and heading to the stairs when I remembered it was uncomfy there.
   Contemplating, I ended up heading to the basement. My steps were slow and quiet. The clock near the basement door read 1:16. It was a late hour. (A/N i guess it would be early hour since it's the next day but late sounds better so shush)
   My hand on the doorknob, I used my wrist to slowly turn it open. I heard heavy breathing. A wave of heat covered me. I started stepping down the stairs, closing the basement door behind me, hearing breathing heavier. Now I could hear mumbling, and a jerking sound.
   Reaching the end of the stairs now, I could see a sweaty and hot El fidgeting in her sleep. Her eyes would wince and her arms would hold up reflexes, as if defending herself. Her chest heaved up and down from heaving breathing. As troublesome as it was, she looked kind of cute.
Mike, shut up and help her! Something must be wrong!
   Right.
   I hurried over to where she lay and got on my knees. My hands on her shoulders, I got a better look at her. Her tear stained cheeks had some tears still running. Her eyelashes were matted together, appearing darker and longer.
   I shook her, watching her stir in her sleep. Her eyes blinked but were closed still, and she flinched when I tried softly touching her shoulder again. "El, wake up."
   Once again, she didn't move. "El! Wake UP!" I emphasized my words to hopefully wake her up. She sat up, her eyes still closed. She reached out, and found my shoulders.
   El opened her eyes. Now I looked into them, Bloodshot red and droopy, half open. A layer of water covered them as a tear slipped down her cheek. Quietly, like she used to say, she muttered out, "...mike..." (a/n didn't use capitals because it looked right and because it was a whisper.)
   "I'm here El! Don't worry, you're going to be all right." She nodded in response and yawned, another tear slipping out with her lip quivering.
   "El, what happened?" She moved her lips as if to answer me. I put another arm on her shoulder. "El... what... happened?" I said slowly.
   Surely and slowly, she spoke words. Descriptive ones, tell me of the Upside Down and how she saw what happened to Barb, and how she was chased to, getting pulled by her ankle....
   At this part she broke out in sobs, and I told her she didn't need to tell me the rest. She needed to forget it, I told her. She nodded once more.
   I stood up from my sitting position just outside her tent when she outstretched her arm and grabbed my wrist. "Wait, Mike..." she began.
   "Yes El?"
   "...Stay."
   "Okay.." I said, almost unsure.
She pulled me into the fort, and I kneeled down next to her. El curled up in a space, and I laid down, looking at her now closing eyes lovingly. She scootched closer to me and was curled up so close. I got closer and wrapped an arm around her, as she already fell asleep.

requested by: @megmax679
any requests are okay☻feel free to message me anytime.
always feel free to correct me, except im considering scootching a word. hehe thanks for all your support!! also be sure to check out my byler book :)