Tangled torns (4)

Chapter four: Tangled torns:

The clock struck five and I realized it was time for me to leave. I gathered my stuff and gave Chris one last look. He looked pale and thinner than he normally did. He was wasting away in here.

I swung my bag over my shoulder and left the room. Elanor gave me a smile from behind the receptionist desk. I waved at her and left through the sliding glass doors. I sighed tiredly at the sight of the sun dipping below the horizon. I was exhausted. I had signed the papers for my exit exam, and I spent a large amount of my free time studying. Just because it was an exit exam didn't mean I should do poorly on it, Mrs. Shapiro said I should treat it the same as I would the S. A. T.

I weaved though the cars in the lot and dug through my pocket to get my keys. I went to the front to unlock it and as I pushed the key in the door, something flashed in the reflection of the window. I spun around and nearly lost what little lunch I had earlier. We just stared at each other, we didn't say anything, we just regarded the other. My gaze was wary but her gaze was very curious, which only pissed me off even more.

"Sometimes, I'm surprised by the amount of crazy you posses, then I remember who you are. A weak, attention-seeking child, and I understand at some level, why you have take it a step further each time." In English Literature we had been doing psychology and studying the human brain in different emotional settings coupled with mental illness, I had picked up a little bit. It also helped that my mother was a licensed professional. "For you, it seems like it's just about seeing how much farther you can push me untill I hit my level. I do not want to have to tell your crazy ass again about this, leave me the hell alone!" She was standing in front of me so I couldn't really make a dramatic exit. I had to settle for just getting in the car.

It should have been just as simple as her leaving me alone, letting me get in my damn car so I could drive of and live not-so-happily in my house. But no, she latched on to my arm before I could get in. I smacked her hand and she jerked her hand back, but didn't leave. "Look, just hear me out, please. I know I'm crazy, believe me, I do. But please, just give me fifteen minutes." As much as I would have loved to just ignore her request, something stopped me. It wasn't the look in her eyes or how even how pleading her voice sounded. It was something entirely different.

I remembered as a child, standing near the edge of the road. My parents were trying to tug me back towards the sidewalk, but I wanted to stay and watch the dog that was hobbling across the road. I recalled asking my mother why we couldn't keep the dog, she had gently told me it wasn't ours to take and it was probably old and sick anyway. Still, I watched the dog for another few minutes. It stopped trying to cross the road and settled right down the middle on one of the yellow lines. Right as I was finally about to turn away, a car came and flattened the dog in an instant. The driver didn't even stop. At three years old, that was my first experience with death. I mourned the dog for a full two weeks.

This was an odd moment to recall it, but right now Ashlynn was the dog. While she was the most mangy, malnourished, dog you would ever have the displeasure to meet, she still was entitled to saving. So after I stared her down for another few seconds, then I made a decision.

"You're lucky my humanity just clicked in." I sighed. I looked up to the sky. If there was a God, I hoped he saw what I was about to say. "I'll hear you out. But not today, I'm tired and I'm not ready to deal with you at this particular moment. Tomorrow please."

She looked shocked that I had actually accepted. Believe me, Ashlynn, I was too. "Uh, how about we do coffee or something?"

"We can just talk in the hospital cafeteria," No need to have her mess up my schedule anymore than necessary. "If you really want, I can pick up some coffee." She nodded, then looked away awkwardly. This was easily the most civilized conversation Ashlynn and I had ever had. There was really nothing left (that was nice) for either of us to say.