|two|

this chapter might be a little be shorter, sorry.

---

Iris's POV

"get up it's reaping day." was the fist thing i heard the next day. what a great way to start off the day.

"yeah i realize that." i stated rubbing the sleep from my eyes.

xander left my room and i sat up and noticed a dress laying on my chair in the corner. i then left my room then went to the kitchen where my family usually is in the morning.

mother was cooking breakfast, xander looking at some book, and father was no where to be seen.

"where's father?" i asked rubbing my eyes again.

"oh, he had to go to work early, but he will be back in time for the reaping. sit down for breakfast, you'll need it." she said and i listened to her instructions, sitting across from xander.

"whatcha reading?" i asked leaning over the table to see what it was.

"a book." he said not not looking up, then turning the page.

"oh okay." i said sitting back.

i ignored his sarcasm as i started to eat my breakfast that my mother had set in front of me.

i tried my best to stomach all the food that was on my plate, but my nerves of the reaping that would take place later that day were getting the best of me.

i started to feel sick about half way through my plate.

"i'm sorry, but i'm just not too hungry. my i be excused?" i asked.

"yes. and i laid out your dress for today, you need to be ready pretty quickly." my mother said.

i stood up and went to my bedroom, and sure enough, the dress was still laid out on my chair.

i stood there, just staring at the dress, for a while.

it was just a simple light grey and white dress that frayed out at the bottom a little bit, nothing too fancy. a typical reaping dress.

i picked it up to get a better view of it. it was solid grey, except a white lace trim on the bottom and on the sleeves, there was also three silver buttons going down the chest.

i carried the piece of clothing to the bathroom to take a bath.

the bathroom was unusually cool, so i filled the bath with warm water. i ridded myself of my clothing and stepped into the bath. the warmth of the bath engulfed my body as i sunk into it.

i could hear my parents fighting about something stupid in the other room as i put soap in my hair.

i leaned against the back of the tub and sank deeper into the water, blocking out the sound of the yelling. i stayed like this until i couldn't hear the muffled sounds of screaming.

i washed my hair and got out all the soap, filling the tub with bubbles.

i scrubbed at the dirt and grime all over my body, most of it from my little trip to the beach last night.

i stepped out of the tub, drying myself off with a towel, then proceeded to dry my hair off with the towel.

my hair was still damp, but it would be dry by the time the reaping came around. i threw on my dress, then went to my bedroom to do my hair.

the style i went with was quite simple, two dutch braids on either side of my head, leading to a low bun that hung at the nape of my neck.

my long, wavy, brown hair was usually hard to keep up with but it surprisingly worked with me today.

i walked into the living room after i was all done with getting ready. i found my father, who was now back from work, sitting on a chair reading a book of some sort.

i caught his attention, he sat the book down on a table next to him.

"oh ris, you look beautiful." he said using my nickname.

"thank you father." i said brushing some small wrinkles out of the side of my dress.

my mother and xander walked into the room a few seconds later, ready for the reaping.

"everyone ready?" my father asked.

i nodded.

not really, i thought.

---

the reaping was quite the sight. there where hundreds of teenagers and children lined up getting their fingers pricked for blood.

i said goodbye to my family, then went to my line.

it was my turn in line about five minutes later.

"name?" the lady asked me.

"iris farbrook." i said as the needle went into my finger.

she took my blood and identified me.

"next." she said as the person behind me walked up to her.

as i was speed walking to where i was supposed to stand, i accidentally ran into someone. it was a boy who was about 15 or so.

"oh m goodness, i'm so sorry." i apologized.

"it's okay." he said and walked away.

i shrugged it off and continued on my way.

"good afternoon district four!" the escort said.

i think her name is like quinolone or something.

"why don't we go ahead and watch a special video sent from the capitol? i think that sounds like a lovely idea." she said, sounding way too cheery for my liking.

the video was the same one i had watched each year since i was twelve. it was all about home panem came to be, and frankly, i couldn't give a lesser shit about it.

"ah. don't you just love that?" she asked, reviving complete silence.

"well then, let's get on with the choosing of our two courageous tributes why don't we?"

"as usual, ladies first.

your female tribute for the 68th annual hunger games for district 4 is...

iris farbrook!"

---

just a little shorter than the last chapter, sorry.

i added a cast, so if you are having a hard time picturing characters, go ahead and give the 'casting' chapter a look.

-haley