50: Indescribable Joy

Mageia gasped. How in the hell did he find us this fast?

So many questions swam in her head, and worry withered to her core. They had passed so many adjoined tunnels that even an experienced person could get lost or give up on the search. She didn't know much about shadowdemons, but a terrible feeling in her gut told her that the darkness in the tunnels must be mystical in itself to direct Sii straight to the trapdoor.

Whatever the reason, Mageia knew they couldn't hide for long. Her weary mind argued against her thoughts, processing what to do without getting anyone hurt. She didn't know how to use her awakened magic, so the only alternative was to fight.

Sii entered the room, and Mageia slid back until her boots pressed against the wall. She felt for the dagger, prepared to stab it into the shadow's face if he peeked under the curtain.

"Hello, priest."

"I am Lord Dorian," he said. "And who are you?"

"A loyal soldier," Sii responded. "I'm having the temple searched. Me and my men were trailing trespassers in the underground tunnels and tracked them to a stairway attached to the basement of this Temple. Because of the high presence of security at every door, we know they are hiding somewhere within this building."

"I see. I hope you find them," Dorian said. "Were they dangerous?"

"Hmm," Sii mused. There was a short pause, and Mageia dared to slide forward to peek. Sii combed a hand through his blond curls. "May I look around?"

"I guess so, but no one's here, unless the trespassers you're looking for are invisible." Dorian stepped aside.

The shadowdemon, with a slight tilt in his shoulders, moseyed across the floor to the washroom. He burst open the door and poked his head inside. Mageia held her breath and spotted Sii's shadow slithering to places on its own. A possible confirmation of her theory. The darkness speaks. He slowly edged towards the table and stared at Suella.

"Hello, beautiful," he grinned and gave a decent nod.

Suella gave a convincing smile and nervously fumbled with a spoon.

"I told you we were just finishing up our meal," Dorian said.

"I feel something." Sii's eyes lingered on the table, and humor crawled onto his face. He indicated the tray of food, the bowls, and the cups. At this point, the calmness in Dorian's eyes wavered just a bit for the crazy sorcerer to realize he was lying. Mageia frantically thought about what to do. If Sii and his companions were able to slice down Lord Hercones, the temple slave, the nurse, and possibly Dargany in cold blood, what would stop him from harming Lord Dorian?

"Priest, priest, priest," Sii taunted. "Why are there more than two of everything?"

Mageia moved slowly to the side as Sii's shadow grew at his feet towards the bedpost.

"We expected more to join us, but they decided to go home. The slaves left when the riots started, so no one came to clear the mess," the priest said.

Mageia wanted to applaud the priest for his swift tongue and casual lies. It made her wonder if this is what they taught in the Priesthood.

"You are lying." Sii shifted his gaze to the closet. At the same time, his shadow slithered away from Mageia and aimed towards it. Sii followed in suit, though Dorian, Suella, and the knight did not notice the shadow's shadow. Mageia couldn't think of anything else to do but one thing. Keep the wounded prince safe and out of Eron's reach.

"Wait," she called out and felt her heart leap into her throat.

Oh, gods above.

Sii's hands froze at the knobs, and his eyes shot in the direction of the bed. It was only when she crawled from under it that he realized the obviously clever hiding spot.