A shadows regret

Pixis sat above the now 'repaired' gate of Trost, drinking from his flask as he looked out over the field held by the titans. The scarred land beyond was clearly evident by the massive craters and charred grass. It was here that the commander of the Southern Garrison witnessed the slaughter of hundreds of titans in the blink of an eye. The Angel of Death... and now the Female Titan.

"What are your orders, commander?" Rico asked, still saluting the sitting man. Pixis was still lost in thought as to what was going on in that black garbed man's mind. Why would he save the Female Titan? Why would he work with the Grays? Pixis didn't believe that Naruto would go against humanity without a very good reason. Even then, if the Angel of Death wanted to, he would be able to tear down these walls and kill many along the way. Pixis's eyes hovered the craters in the field below, further proving his theory. The older man was grateful that nobody else watched the carnage in the fields besides himself. If they had then Naruto would be viewed in a very different light right now. "Sir?"

"You say the Angel, along with the Female Titan, are currently residing at the Gray's base in the southern swamps?" Pixis questioned once more.

"And they are working together, yes." Rico responded. "He forced us to retreat when they emerged from the forest."

"Did you attempt to engage?"

"... No." Pixis chuckled as he took a sip of his beverage.

"Smart move. Where are your men now?"

"They're reinforcing the eastern bulkheads in an attempt to slow down any titan advance, but there doesn't seem to be any massive waves. Was there really a breach?"

"Hmm..." Pixis let the wind wash over them as he thought of what to say next. "No, there hasn't been one, but Eren has been captured by two more hybrids. The Scouting Legion, along with some Military Police, are giving chase to them now."

"What about the titans still inside the wall? Where did they come from?"

"When you return to your post I want you to begin sweeping the area for any stragglers that may still be within the walls. As for where they came from... still unknown."

"And what of Naruto? What are we going to do about him?"

"..." Pixis knew that he was in the best position to confront the man that seemingly betrayed them, but... "We'll leave him be for the time being."

"What?! But-!"

"That's an order Rico. Focus on the titans within the walls. We'll come up with a plan to deal with Naruto afterwards." The silver haired soldier paused before nodding her head. Her commander was right. The titans needed to be dealt with first, then they could focus their efforts elsewhere. "Good. Now go kill some titans. I'll be waiting for you when the three of you finish your assignments at hand. Don't keep me waiting too long."

"Sir, yes sir!" Rico said before turning and leaving. Pixis sighed as he returned his gaze to the field beyond. He could only hope that his gut instinct about Naruto was correct. Otherwise humanity would be paying a fatal price...

XxXxX

I walked through the dark mist, Annie following behind me at a safe distance. She was scared. Scared of the madness that continued to rake my mind. That was her first experience with my past, and it must have surprised her. Unlike her own blank past, it would seem that mine wanted to haunt me to no end.

The sound of our boots sinking in and out of the muddy ground was the only sound that could heard between us. "Your words hurt me Naruto-kun." My teeth ground together in annoyance. Why wouldn't she just leave me alone? "You remembered part of my past, didn't you? That's not fair! You can't remember one part of me without remembering the other!"