Chapter One

Almost there, I told my wolf self as we ran through the woods.

Where are we going though? she asked me for the third time, obviously impatient.

You'll see when we get there, I replied, not wanting to tell her, she had been put to sleep for a month and a half as a punishment to me, my parents had been very harsh on my grounding. I slowed down as I neared the edge of the forest, glancing around as I emerged from the tree line crossing the meadow to the pond.

Ahh! It's so beautiful! she squealed, Get in. she ordered me.

I laughed to myself and trotted up the the clear blue water's edge I looked my face over, staring at my unique eyes, different than the other wolves, their eyes are dark browns, blacks, hazels, and  violets, but mine are bright red, like fresh spilled blood. I began to lap the water cooling my dry tongue, I stepped farther into the water cooling off the rest of my body, my long white fur separated and lifted to the surface as I emerged my back into the cool water. I love swimming, rolling in the water, splashing and biting at the ripples I cause on the top of the pond. 

Mate! my wolf screamed as I flipped in the waves.

What? Where? I asked her, my heart pounding as I looked around, finding nothing, I scurried from the water and hid just beyond the trees waiting to see my mate. We waited for an hour, finding nothing I decided to return home.

"Karena!" I heard her yell as I replaced my clothing behind the large tree, "There you are, I've been looking all over for you!" my best friend, Talia exclaimed, "your grandmother needs you in her study."

"Okay," I told her. "Thank you." I said nodding. 

I straightened my long hair in it's braid, as I knocked on her door, "You needed me Grandmother?" 

"Oh yes dear." she told me turning from her large bookshelf, "Someone tells me you've found your mate?" 

"I sensed his presence, but I didn't see him." I answered straightening my back.

"Ah." she nodded, "Then you aren't ready yet."

"Ready?"

"Yes, you aren't ready, now please leave me to my studies." She waved her hand.

"Yes, Grandmother." I nodded turning and leaving the room.

Ready for what? my wolf asked me.

I don't know... I answered.

She cocked her head to the side then lay down resting her head on her paws, What do you think it's about?

Could be anything... not ready for commitment, love, mating, anything.

Or something else. she said her eyes glistening with curiosity.

The next day we returned to the pond, splashing in the cool water once more, when I spotted it, a large black wolf eyeing me from the forests edge. I listened for my wolf to signal me if it was him, but she remained quiet with question in her eyes. Mate? I asked her.

I...I don't know who t-that is... she stuttered trailing off cocking her head to the side.

I began slowly backing up when I heard the low growl as the wolf stepped forward, emerging from the forest's edge. He bared his teeth at me walking towards me, his enormous paws moving slowly. Rogue! she screamed Rogue, run! Run! 

He'll move faster if I run! He's faster than us! 

What are we going to do? she whimpered shrinking down, she was quiet as he stepped into the tall grass just fifty feet from us, Mate! she screamed leaping up. I straightened up looking around the meadow, the rogue turned his large head towards the forests edge on my right, growling loudly as the arrow entered his head.