fifty-four: i've never so adored you

I watched as Brendon entered the room again, this time with a nurse joining him. I groaned, wanting Brendon by my side but he stood back as the nurse approached my bed and smiled at me. 

"Hello, Charlotte," he said. "My name is Brent, I'm your nurse and I'm just in here to check and see how things are going okay?"

At first I could really only nod to communicate with him, all that I had the energy to do. But after waking up a little more, I was able to speak in full sentence with everyone in the room. 

"Okay, Charlotte, your vitals are looking good," Brent said. "I'm gonna have you do a few simple actions for me. Can you follow my finger?" He had me follow his finger, lift my arm slightly, wiggle my fingers and blink, and eventually he stood back, clipboard on his arm. 

"Well, how are you feeling overall?" he asked. 

"How do you think?" I asked. "I got hit by a car didn't I?" 

He chuckled and set the clipboard down right outside the door as he walked towards the exit. "I'm going to get you some pain meds as soon as I can. Just try to relax while I go get your doctor." 

Brendon immediately approached my side as he left, and I gratefully allowed him to take my hand in his. "I'm so glad you're alive, Charlie," he said, leaning down and kissing my hand. "I was so worried that you weren't going to wake up, and I can't imagine what my life would be like without you." 

Before I could respond, there was a knock at the door and a man with brown hair, a round face and big brown eyes poked his head in and smiled. "Hello, Charlotte." 

Brendon stepped away again, much to my dismay, as he approached me laying in my bed. "My name is Dr. Ryan Ross. I have some pain medicine right here in this cup, you just have to drink it." 

I gladly took the cup from him with my left hand, quickly drinking the contents and swallowing it all, eager to get rid of the pain all throughout my right side. He took the cup from me when I was done and pulled the clipboard out in front of him. "So, in case you didn't know, you were in a car accident, Charlotte. It appears that the driver in your vehicle ran a red light and an oncoming car in the intersection hit the passenger's side of the vehicle."

"I vaguely remember," I nodded slightly. 

"Well, clearly you have a severe concussion, that's why you've been in a coma for about 20 hours," he said. "Your right shoulder was dislocated, and you have 2 cracked ribs. You'll only need your arm in a sling for about 3 weeks, but your ribs will take about 6 weeks to heal completely." 

"Wonderful," I groaned. 

"I'm going to have some food brought to you, I'm sure you're probably hungry," he said, standing and placing the clipboard down as he exited the room. 

My father and Jason entered, the room, approaching me and hugging me gently, telling me how glad they were that I was awake, informing me that my mother was doing fine, and was really worried if I was okay. Brendon's mother even entered the room a short time after, coming up to me and kissing my forehead, and telling me that she was happy that I was okay, informing me that Brendon had been a complete mess the entire time. 

It didn't take long for the food to settle into my stomach and the pain meds to start kicking in, making me a little hazy to everything going on around me. Soon everyone began leaving, giving me space to relax, as I felt my body relaxing into a sleep. Brendon was the last one to head out, but I stopped him before he left the room. 

"Brendon?" I called back to him softly. He immediately stopped and turned to face me. "Wait." 

He quietly approached my bed, sitting down next to my bed and leaning in to speak to me. "What is it, Charlie?" 

"There's something I need to tell you," I said. "I've chickened out on saying it because I've been afraid of what might come after saying this but I know I need to tell you." 

"I'm listening," he nodded. 

I reached out to take his hand and he wrapped it in both of his. "I love you." 

His face broke into a smile, and he leaned forward and kissed me on the cheek, his brown eyes looking into mine. "I love you, Charlie. And I'm sorry that you had to get into a near-death experience for me to realize it." 

"There's a lot of things I've realized," I mumbled, feeling my thoughts cloud over even more as the medication started to really set in. "I'll tell you about them when we go home later." 

"Okay," he smiled at me again, my eyes closing as I laid back against the bed completely, feeling sleep beginning to overtake me. The last thing I felt before I drifted off to sleep again was Brendon's soft lips on my forehead. 

-

A/N: another short chapter I know but trust me it'll pick up again worry not