I am Ophelia Singer

I stood, shellshocked and unmoving, in front of the gigantic door that stood between me and the beginning of a formal education. My mom stood beside me, holding my hand as I shook violently out of pure terror. Most kids are open to meeting new small humans. I, however, was entirely against it in every respect.

Welcome to Kindergarten!
Mrs. Talley
Room 105

The large, imposing letters told me it was supposedly safe to enter. I didn't believe it for a second.

Why am I here, mom? I thought you told me I didn't have to do anything I didn't want to do... I pouted in my head. What good could come of being shoved into a room full of five-year-olds and having an adult expect reasonable interactions that would lead to lifelong friendships?

"C'mon, dear. It'll be okay. You should go meet some of the nice kids in your class, now." My mom's voice was soothing, but I didn't want to leave her. Children were gross and I was not ready to handle twenty more of them in one room with me.

"But, mommy, I don't wanna!" I cried like a baby. "Don't make me go in there!"

"Now, Opi, don't throw a fit. Even if school wasn't required, I'd have you go in there. You'll like it more than you think. Now, go on," she nudged me towards the door. Oh no, here comes the baptism of fire.

My mom shoved me (gently) into the classroom. I kept my head down and avoided any and all eye contact with the other students. I ran straight to my teacher.

"Well, hello there! You must be Ophelia! It's very nice to meet you," she cheered, extending a hand so I could shake it.

In doing so, I responded, "That's right, Mrs. Talley. Can I leave now?" I was dead set on going home this very instant.

"Why, Ophelia, don't be silly! You'll feel right at home in my classroom once you get to know a few of the other children." Her face beamed with pride. I didn't understand how she could work with small children every day for years on end without pulling her hair out.

Mrs. Talley led me to a duo of kids, one boy and one girl. "Jack and Danny, I'd like you to meet Ophelia." Expecting us to interact, I waved a shy hand at the girl and didn't even look at the guy. Boys had cooties.

"Go ahead and keep playing, children. Today is going to be a fun day for all of you!" With that, Mrs. Talley walked away. I was certain I was a goner.

The girl, namely Danny, smiled incessantly at me while the boy took a step in my direction. I froze in my spot, wanting to back away, but all the while knowing there was no way out of this.

"I'm Jackson, but everyone calls me Jack," he stated proudly. "And this is-"

"-Danny, Miss Ophelia, but my real name is Daniella," Danny interrupted, grinning wildly and shaking my hand with two of hers. She shook me so hard I had to steady myself when she was finished. "I like the name Danny much better because I want to be a boy when I grow up."

"I told her that's ridiculous, but my friend here has her heart set on changing everything about her," Jack whispered, shaking his head in disapproval.

"I mean," I started to say, but I didn't want to offend either of them. When I stopped mid-thought, they both looked at me as if they wanted to hear what I had to say. "Well, she can do what she wants, right?"