Until One Fateful Day

Life is all full of rainbows and unicorns, right? Every waking moment gives you a reason to get out of bed in the morning instead of hiding in your room for the rest of eternity. Well, that's not entirely true. You know that.

This rollercoaster of a life seems pretty good off the bat, right? My life is nothing to be ashamed of. I have good friends. Most of my family members are alive. As far as I know, I'm a fertile teenager who will bring gorgeous (absolutely stunning) children into the world (hopefully after college).

But I must remind you that this book is not about my lovely friends or my potential motherly abilities. This book is about another book in which he lies of those close to me are revealed. Don't you worry, your waiting has come to an end. Proceed, my wonderful reader.

It's the summer before senior year. I pose all prettied up for my senior pictures in a field of flowers. I look up towards the cloudless sky and smile wide for the camera. But in reality, I'm smiling at the lovely weather that had revealed itself.

The flowers smelled of fresh pollen and the honeybees did their hard work hopping from flower to flower. The trees stayed put but their leaves rustled in the gentle breeze. Birds chirped and sang their song of summer before the cusp of autumn brought in new lyrics. My hair whipped behind me in the wind and brought life to what would be looked back upon as my first moment of seniority.

But for some reason, they were the best moments of that year.

"Opi, do you think you could get me some paper towels from downstairs?" My mother called to me from the kitchen.

"Sure thing, mom," I called back as I marched out of my room and down the stairs. I brought the towels back up to the sink and placed them next to her.

"Thanks, dear," my mom replied, kissing me on the forehead to avoid a hug with soapy hands.

I made my way back to my room, humming a tune that sounded like "Whistle While You Work" but without the whistling. For some odd genetic reason, I can't whistle.

I flopped down onto my springboard mattress and lay there for a moment. Breathing. Breathing is good. I take in heaps of oxygen and return normal functioning to my brain. School would start again soon. I only hoped that the last year would speed it's way down the road without colliding head-on with any complications.

"You're just worried about stupid things," I told myself aloud. "You're going to have a great final school year, and then you can get on with your education at an even bigger school." I shook my head at the thought of more school. Don't get me wrong, it's great and all, but I really needed more than two and a half months of a break. My brain was beginning to hurt.

I rolled onto my side and stared hard into the wall. Maybe it would give me the answers to my tests soon. I was still waiting for my divine intervention to kick in.

Subconsciously, I started scanning my books. Read that. Seen that. Don't read again. Please read more. I stopped my criticism when I came to a book I hadn't yet explore. Except with this book, I didn't recognize it's binding.

"What are you doing here, little fella?" Excuse me talking to myself and inanimate objects... that's just what I do so deal with it.

I brushed the front cover off, even though there was not a speck of dust on it. The front was blank and so was the back, and the biding was a jet black shade. The rest of the cover was reflective, as if to hail to me and only me, it's founder (more like finder).

I hopped over to my bed again, this time the book under my arm. It had that new book smell; you know, the best smell in the world. If only they made perfume that smelled like that.