CHAPTER ONE

"Where is it?" I seethed, directing my domineering gaze at the cowering man before me, "You said you had it, show it to me now, or the deal is off."

The man did not speak, only outstretched his hand and move his rough, and dirty, palm closer towards me. My guards on each side of me tensed up, and took a step in front of me.

"Stand down," I waved my hands at them, "he is being sincere." They both relaxed back to their normal positions.

There it was... there it finally was, the masterpiece to my collection of items. It had taken years for me to track it down... and now I finally have it in my presence...

I reached my fingers towards the item within his hand. As if to notice my movement, he clutched his hand closed just before I was able to grab it. An impatient scowl overwhelmed my face.

"Your side of the bargain must stand." The man spoke, rising to his full height. I stood up as well, not as tall as him, but straighter than he was -- he was slouched over, almost like he had spent his life bending over.

I guess he was a scavenger. The hood had fully covered, what I assumed to be, rugged face from the tough lands of Pandora, and the baggy clothes had made him hard to identify. Mysterious, serious, and straight to business... the best and worst type of people to work with.

However, I was a lady of my words, I will give him what he wants.

"Recon." I nodded at Recon, who is one of my bodyguards, to go get the exchange item.

The man waited patiently as I drummed my fingers against the wooden chair I was enthroned on. I was curious why he wanted this item, a simple little gem, which he so specifically described. Not that it mattered, he had what I wanted, I would've paid anything for it.

"Here," Recon held a small, opened box to the hooded man, showing the contents. An eccentric purple crystal which was humming, what seemed to be, brighter in his presence sat in the middle of red cloths. Recon closed the lid, and the man humbly took the box with a slight appreciative nod.

He opened his hand again to reveal what I wanted; an old cybernetic eye piece. The piece slipped onto my palm, and I immediately began to examine it. Old tech, a little dusty, yet grand and... historic.

"I appreciate doing business with you,...?" I never did get a name.

"Name's M," He simply said, "Pleasure is mine as well." 

He didn't bother shaking hands, as he hobbled towards the exit of my headquarters. I wanted to ask him a million questions, but it wasn't exactly my stance to. Something about him seemed weird, and vaguely familiar, yet I couldn't quite put a finger on it.

"See to it he makes it safely out of town," I narrowed my eyes in the direction of him, "but keep your distance, he... seems dangerous. Get a few on figuring out who he is right away." 

"Yes, ma'am." Palo and Recon said with sync of each other. They let him leave, before taking a back exit to go watch him.

Shaking my head, I looked down at the eye piece that I held in my hand. History was right there. A forgotten piece, perhaps purposely forgotten. It once belonged to the very famous Rhys, a vault hunter, and rightful owner of Atlas, at least until he disappeared in the very vault he discovered.

No one has seen him, or Fiona, since fifteen years ago. I was powerful, I could figure out a lot about history, even if I was just born during that time.

This piece was the real deal, there's no doubt about it. The strange vibe it gave, it almost made me want to install it. I've always wanted a cyber eye, anyway.

~~~~~~~~

"The dust storm cloaked him, we weren't able to follow him much past the canyon." Recon reported through his ECHO, "Mostly kept to himself, didn't even look at the crystal, he just continued walking."

"We'll have to reach out to our contacts in the other settlements nearby, see if they can pinpoint who he is." I chewed on my nails and readjusted my crossed legs.

"Right away." Recon replied, before turning off the communicator.

He was trained well, the money I had put into sponsoring him in the Clapout Brawling Arena was paying off well. Observant, obedient, smart, resilient, and strong. I could go on, but let's just say I'd rather have no one else as my second in command.

"Marion, how much longer until the operation is ready?" I questioned, looking over at the medic bitterly, and receiving the same look.

"Justice, you can't rush this. We barely have the tech to do this surgery, and--"

"I don't want excuses, doc, I want results." I interjected, "So hurry up, and I'll give you double the food for your family, okay?"

I wasn't all mean, at least I didn't think so. I like a good deal, and hey, you do your job efficient and well, and you'll be rewarded. I pretty much had unlimited resources, where my contacts are.

"Okay, it should be ready within the hour," she exhaled shakily, "but I can't guarantee the data stored on this cyber eye is secure or not, that's not my expertise."

A smile crept onto my lips, "You let me worry about that."